Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dining out? Fois gras and trans fat, not allowed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone in Chicago was considering it. Though it was modified to target big chain restaurants.
    http://www.swnewsherald.com/news_frontp ... ansfat.php

I would much rather have butter over trans-fats! In moderation, of course. I don't think butter would replace trans-fats in all cases. McD's won't start doing fries in butter. Unless they decide to go really upscale and do something like the duck fat fries. I thought I heard that McD's or Burger King was modifying their fry recipe to use a trans-fat free oil formula but I don't know if that happened. A ban in NYC and Chicago might push that along.

Comment

I think lead pipes are slightly different.

I know that my pastry chef friend is upset because it is going to be much more difficult and expensive to produce the same type of pastry crusts (especially pie crusts) without shortening. Essentially, she will have to use lard instead, which is similar but not identical.

Plus, if I want to eat trans-fats, why not let me? I've noticed that Oreos are switching to non-trans fats but that my Carr's Ginger Lemon Cremes are still just as good (and trans-fatty) as ever. It's not as if this is a poison like lead (or alcohol)

I'm just generally against anything that takes a choice away from someone. (If we keep this up, we'll have to move this thread again)

I thought we were going to be moving to Cleveland for med school, and it looks like there are some nice places there. I was really excited about that indoor market! (but to be honest, I'm happy we got to stay in Chicago!)

edit: butter is not a replacement for all "trans-fats" because it has too much water in it and too many milk solids. Really, lard is the closest replacement for shortening. For fry oil, though, most palces can switch to a non-hydrogenated oil instead, but it doesn't taste as good.
      - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

I agree that lead pipes are different. I'm just not that attached to shortening.

I can understand the need if my work was in pastry. I'd be rather annoyed if I couldn't use shortening at home to make cookies at Christmas - so I see your point. Maybe if they changed the legislation PR to "Pro-Lard" :: instead of "Anti-Trans Fat" it would be harder to push through.

Do you think this has any connection to liability? Crazier things have happened.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm pro-lard and I vote! Does that mean I have to support pork-barrel spending too? Just kidding. I think this is the wrong way to go about changing diets.

You mean like the Oreos lawsuit?

I read that a group of Chicago chefs is suing over the foie gras ban. Not sure what is happening with that.

Comment

Well, just come on down to San Antonio where there are no 'bad' foods. Lard is a staple in a lot of Mexican dishes, our award winning chefs have no problem with Foie Gras (love the stuff, personally) and there is no lack of trans-fat fried foods.

The Texas State Fair's Fried Food of the year is "fried coke". They make a batter and instead of the regular liquids, they used coke, then deep fried it then poured Coke syrup on top and topped it with whipped cream.

Jenn

Comment

Back to Chicago restaurants -- how 'bout Uncle Julio's? Nothing fancy, but REALLY, REALLY yummy. Their guac is to die for!

Comment

My go-to mexican is Nuevo Leon in Pilsen.

and it is right across from Bombon - home of the BEST tres leches cake I've ever had!
                - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Thanks for the tips. We went to Adobo in Old Town recently and weren't impressed.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We went to a great restaurant when we were in Chicago- Bin 35 I think it was called? and we ate at some great breakfast place around the corner from Northwestern Medical School.

The Egg? The chicken? I don't know but it was GOOD.

and we went to a fantastic Greek place and a great little wine bar but- much wine was had and I have no idea what their names were.

Jenn[/i]

Comment

Working...
                    X