Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bagels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagels

Between Sylvia's bagel avatar and Nellie's wish for bagels, I remembered this recipe I cut out of Family Fun a long time ago. The boys and I made them once, and they ARE yummy. And fun (as long as you're a glutton for punishment and think baking w/little kids is fun).

INGREDIENTS:
    Dough
    1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
    1 packet (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
    (not quick-rising)
    4 tablespoons sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups flour

Glaze and Garnish
    1 egg white
    1 1/2 teaspoons water
    Sesame seeds or poppy seeds (optional)
    1. Pour 1/4 cup of the water into a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it. Stir with a fork, then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes so that the yeast can thoroughly dissolve.

2. Combine the remaining 1 1/4 cups of water and the dissolved yeast in a large mixing bowl. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the sugar, then stir in the salt. Add 2 cups of the flour and stir by hand for 100 strokes to blend well.

3. Stir in enough of the remaining flour, about 1/4 cup at a time, to make a dough that's firm enough to knead.

4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it with floured hands for about 10 minutes, using as much of the remaining flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking. When fully kneaded, the dough will be firm but supple and should hold the imprint of your hand.

5. Transfer the dough to an oiled glass or ceramic bowl, turning it a few times to coat the entire surface. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and place it in a warm, draft-free spot until the dough has doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

6. When the dough is ready, punch it down. Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead it for 1 minute. Divide the dough in half, then divide each half into 4 equal pieces.

7. Shape the 8 pieces into balls, placing them on a floured work counter and dusting the tops with flour. Let them rest for 2 to 3 minutes, then flatten them slightly with your fingers.

8. Fill a large soup pot about two thirds with water. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and begin heating the water to bring it to a boil.

9. Working with 1 ball of dough at a time, press your floured thumb down through the center to make a hole. Stretch the dough slightly so the hole is about 1 inch in diameter. It will look like a doughnut. Set the bagels aside on a floured surface, covering them loosely with plastic wrap or waxed paper.

10. Let the bagels rest for 10 minutes while the water comes to a full boil. Meanwhile, grease a large baking sheet and set it aside. Heat the oven to 400°.

11. Working with the first bagels you shaped, gently drop 2 into the boiling water (a parent's job). They should float, but don't worry if they sink initially - they'll quickly rise to the surface. Boil the bagels for 30 seconds on one side, then carefully turn them with a long-handled, slotted spoon and boil them for another 30 seconds on the other side.

12. Using your slotted spoon, transfer the bagels to a clean tea towel to drain. Wait a few seconds, then transfer them to the baking sheet, leaving space between them. Repeat with the remaining bagels.

13. Make the glaze by whisking the egg white and water in a small bowl until frothy. Using a pastry brush, coat the surface of the bagels with the glaze. Sprinkle on sesame seeds or poppy seeds, if desired.

14. Bake the bagels on the center oven rack until they are deep golden brown, about 22 to 25 minutes. Then transfer the bagels to a wire rack to cool. Makes 8 bagels.

Jenn, your post made me never want to leave NY. Moving out would mean going through the 14 step process instead of popping into the local bagel store.

Comment

double
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

no, no, dont worry! baltimore, DC, NJ and even here in *wild and wonderful* west virginia....you can find a good bagel!! when we moved from baltimore, i threatened dh with his life..."you better HOPE that state has a real bagel shop...or else...." even if you move from NYC...you should still (i hope) get your bagel.

thank you jenn for posting the recipe...i may have to try it this winter when we're bored.

Comment

I'll have to try this. Maybe next week. The Noah's bagel just didn't cut it.

I can't believe how hard it is to find a decent bagel in Portland. I have one last ray of hope with a Farmer's Market vendor.

Comment

Nellie-

Call the women's group from one of the synagogues. I'll bet those ladies can steer you in the right direction. I am totally dependent on my room-mate from college's mom to locate good Bagels for me. (She's a member of the ladies group (Hassadah sp?) and those ladies know from bagels.

Jenn

Comment

Good idea, Jenn but no-go. There really isn't a good bagel shop here. We live in the part of town with the most synagogues and such and everyone goes...to Noah's.

Comment

OK- Nellie's Bagel Shop, here we come!

Jenn

PS- we have ONE good bagel shop in San Antonio. Chicago Bagel. Now, I can hook you up with a damned good breakfast taco and fantastic empanadas. (mango, papaya, guava, etc)

Comment

We'll see how my first batch goes. I'm guessing a bagel baker has to wake up a lot earlier than I like.

Sylvia, you have lit a fire under me. I decided to see what I could find out about the bagels at the Farmer's Market. There are two options and the Saturday one has been near impossible with soccer and the vendor's sporadic schedule. The other market has a vendor with a wood-fired brick oven whose bagels have been talked up on a local food blog. I checked into that and guess what? They're going to have a "bagel subscription" deal over the winter. With delivery in my neighborhood. I'll have to give them a try this weekend.

It is surprising to me that such a food town, what with many artisanal bakeries and all, doesn't offer better access to a decent bagel. I'll report back on Sunday. Apparently good bagels were available just north of here through the 1960s.

This is a little press release from last year from the "underground" bagel vendor that I can't make it to. Thought it was kind of funny.
                  The up-to-now mythical Touch of Grace Bakery is ready for its inaugural (and perhaps only) commercial appearance at the last Portland Farmers Market of the season on 12/17.

The current intent is to bake off about 30 dozen bagels the night before. The bagels are entirely handmade by blind, mute virgins with strong forearms. They will be in my usual kaleidoscope of exotic flavors: plain, salt, sesame and poppy (for fun, I may do some black sesame and white poppy. Outside chance I do some pumpernickel, but I kind of doubt it this go round.) Anyone asking about berry flavors, pizza, cinnamon, etc. will be summarily executed. Those asking if they are boiled will be offered this friendly counsel: “If they aren’t boiled, they ain’t bagels, shmeckel.” And no, they aren’t vegan. My recipe uses dry milk in the dough.

Those who have tried these bagels say they are pretty good. I like them as do my daughter, ex-wife and two dogs. Several transplanted NY Jews have given thumbs up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                    Jenn, your post made me never want to leave NY. Moving out would mean going through the 14 step process instead of popping into the local bagel store.
                    i do understand Vishenka ... but i actually enjoy the process. i can only liken it to how runners enjoy running (and I think they're nuts).

this afternoon I'm starting on a birthday cake for my neighbor's kid. he loves thomas the train ... so that's what i'm doing. one big thomas the train.

Comment

Several transplanted NY Jews have given thumbs up as well.
                      This has to be the ultimate approval level for bagels.

Sylvia, your avatar has put me in the state of constant bagel craving. A bit off the topic but is there lox outside of Northeast?

Comment

Yes, there is lox outside the NE and some good lox around here given the salmon. Now I just need a damn bagel to put it on!

Comment

yup! we have lox here is W.V. dh gets his favorite...an onion bagel, lox, cream cheese and onions. me...im just an everything bagel girl with a shmeer of cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                          X