Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Stocking the spice cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stocking the spice cabinet

I have a lot of spices in my cabinet already, but I am sure there are some that I am missing that I would like to have.

I will be meeting a friend of mine in Atlanta in a few weeks. She is from Toronto and lives by a market that sells bulk dried spices. Apparently, she has access to about any spice I may want or need, and she can get them to me for cheap. Wohoo! My problem is that I don't really know what to get.

I looked up on Wikipedia the spice list, and I was overwhelmed. I have a lot of spices already, but not that many.

Here are the spices I have:

allspice
    basil
    bay leaves
    blackening seasoning
    cayenne
    celery salt
    chili powder
    cinnamon
    cloves
    cream of tartar
    crushed red pepper flakes
    cumin
    curry
    dill
    Emeril Southwest Essence
    Emeril Original Essence
    garlic powder
    garlic salt
    garlic bread sprinkle
    garlic pepper
    garlic herb blend
    ginger
    italian seasoning
    lemon pepper
    meat tenderizer
    montreal steak seasoning
    msg
    mustard
    nutmeg
    Old Bay
    onion powder
    oregano
    paprika
    parsley
    poppy seeds
    poultry seasoning
    rosemary
    sage
    sesame seeds
    tarragon
    thyme
    tomato basil garlic blend

So, help me decide what I need to ask her to bring me.

I was thinking of:

More sesame seeds. I use a bottle of these at a time in certain salads, and it costs a ton.
    More Basil. I use this a LOT.
    Anise
    Fennel
    Mace
    I also go through bay leaves quite a bit, thyme, rosemary, oregano (I have a lot of oregano already).

Do I need asofaetida or fenugreek or whatever else is in those indian potatoes. Will I use them that often or for anything else? Cardamom? Tumeric? So many others...

My spice cupboard is already overflowing, but I don't care that much. DH does though.

So, tell me what other spices I MUST get.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Maybe check the spices you have and see if any need to be replaced? I buy bigger sizes (by mail) of stuff I use often enough that I can just refill the jar. It's nice. Other things that go bad quickly, like poppy seeds, I keep in the freezer.

Do you have a spice grinder? Getting some things whole, like the fennel, will keep it fresh longer. Same for nutmeg. Maybe some whole cardomom and star anise for indian cooking? Does the store have other bulk items like cocoa powder? Just adding to your list. Sounds like you're well-stocked to start with though.

Comment

asofeda and fenugreek won't get much use outside of Indian cooking, in my experience. fenugreek helps to up breastmilk production ... but i don't think you're looking for that.

Comment

Coriander. That's the only thing I don't see on your list that we use in bulk. Other than that, I'd just check out new recipes that you'd like to try and buy things for them. I also think that you are well-stocked. ITA that buying spices in whole form and grinding is a great option. We do that for a number of things.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Agreed. And the stuff that I don't use that often, I try to by fresh whenever possible. I also try to use fresh basil (actually makes a great smelling decoration in the kitchen), mint, rosemary, etc.

Otherwise, I think you are pretty well stocked. I use red pepper flakes more than anything else!

Comment

Working...
          X