Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How does this sound for a dinner for 30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this sound for a dinner for 30?

We are hosting a residency interview dinner for around 30 people. This particular night will be mostly candidates from the school here, who have rotated thru the ob service, and know the residents. We hosted on the same night last year and people stayed a long time and drank every bit of the beer. The budget is 10 bucks a person, I think, I can never get a firm answer, but this is our third one. Last year we did a catered Mexican dinner- fajitas, chips, cheese dip, etc. I have since OD'd on that Mexican place so it has been ruled out.

This year I want to do buffalo wings, chicken fingers, carrots and blue cheese, a fruit tray, a veggie tray, and maybe brownies for a dessert. Does that seem too informal? Lately I have been craving wings all the time, and I just cant think of anything else that would be yummy and fit our budget.
    Mom to three wild women.

As long as you have a couple different kinds of wings, I think it sounds great! (and I'm now craving wings, thank you...)

Jenn

Comment

I'm craving wings too. And with the heartburn I've been having, that is not a good thing. Geez, thanks, Sueanne!

I think that sounds like a nice amount of food and have different flavors as Jenn suggested. The only thing I can think of might be cheese and crackers or something if you have many non-meat eaters.

And that is very generous of you to host those parties.

Comment

Ohhhh...good point. That's a lot of wet-naps.

Comment

There are a lot of ideas out there. I do think wings might be too messy.

You could do a baked potato bar. Easy and cheap! Set out baked potatoes and lots of toppings. You can even have chili this way, and it is filling.

Appetizers. Just do a bunch of different ones, and I know a lot of good ones.

Croissant sandwiches. Let people choose between a deli meat tray or chicken salad, or veggies.

Meat, cheese, and chocolate fondue. Encourages conversation and shouldn't break the bank.

Veggies, chips and dip, and fruit would go well with about anything I have listed above. Serve an alcoholic and nonalcoholic punch to cut down the cost of booze.

I have way too many parties at my house!
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I vote for the Baked Potato Bar - that sounds sooooo awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stellava
              I vote for the Baked Potato Bar - that sounds sooooo awesome!!!
              I second that.

Comment

Mmmn.....buffalo wings. It might be an interesting social psychology experiment to note the beer consumption relative to last year. I'm guessing less will get quaffed since it is an interview this time. Though, maybe if the residents take the lead and the interviewees know them well then all bets are off.

Comment

Along the idea of the baked potato bar - you could do a pollo bowl bar (c'mon ... El Pollo Loco anyone?)

A tray of grilled chicken, bowls of beans, tomatoes, cheese, onions ... people make their bowls themselves. It's a huge hit.

Comment

Chili, easy and cheap!

chili
                    salad
                    bread
                    desert
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We did a chili bar with our Christmas party last year and went through 18 QTs of chili. I was a little surprised. This year we are offering a few soups and the chili, I think. It's a good light food thing. You could do that with wings. You just need a few crockpots --and lots of little bowls.
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                      X