Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mashed Potatoes - Red or White potatoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mashed Potatoes - Red or White potatoes?

What's your opinion on using red potatoes for making mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving?

My Dh prefers red mashed potatoes, but my Mom believes they make lumpy mashed potatoes. I don't even know if lumpy is a problem. Dh's Mom will be having Thanksgiving with us this year and I really don't want to give her something to complain about, so I'm fretting over whether I should use red or white potatoes.
    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

I like both. Does that help? I think the red ones are a little lumpier but then you just have little potato bits in there for texture.

ETA: I agree that the Yukon or Russet will give you the traditional mashed potatoes and would probably go better with gravy.

Comment

I like both, but would probably stick w/the regular Yukons for T-Day mashed potatoes. The red skin potatoes seem like more of a steak side dish.

Comment

I would use russets if you are going to do a traditional mash for gravy. If you are doing a garlic cheese mash to eat on their own, I would go for the red.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Do what DH likes and make sure he raves about how great they are & how he preferrs them!! BTW does he prefer red, because they are what his mom used?

Comment

Thank you for your comments. You've convinced me to go the traditional route.

Pinkpickles - no, Dh's Mom never served red potatoes with gravy that I know of, so I don't think that's the reason he likes them. I'm pretty sure she used the box kind- Yukon Gold or something like that. I must be petty because I when Dh and his brother talk like their Mom is Julia Child since a lot of her cooking is from a box. :>

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe
              the box kind- Yukon Gold or something like that.
              ICK! Just for clarification (lest anyone think less of me) when I mentioned Yukon Gold I meant the potatoes - not the box stuff. For regular mashers I like Yukon Gold or Russet - especially for a holiday. I did enjoy my skin-on redskin mashed potatoes the other day, but I made it as a side for steak.

Comment

Originally posted by jesher
                Originally posted by JaneDoe
                the box kind- Yukon Gold or something like that.
                ICK! Just for clarification (lest anyone think less of me) when I mentioned Yukon Gold I meant the potatoes - not the box stuff. For regular mashers I like Yukon Gold or Russet - especially for a holiday. I did enjoy my skin-on redskin mashed potatoes the other day, but I made it as a side for steak.
                Oops . . . I didn't mean to imply that you used instant potatoes. I understood that you meant the type of potatoe to use. What I was referring to was the brand of instants my MIL uses- I swear it has Yukon in the name.

Comment

I was totally kidding - should have put a smiley in there or something.

Comment

Working...
                  X