Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beef

As most of you know, I've got 1/3 of a cow sitting in my freezer. I've pretty much already run through all of my tried and true ways to prepare beef (never did it much b/c it's pricey).

Open to ideas! It's gonna be a long winter!

I'm no help since I don't eat beef but I keep thinking of the Jim Belushi "cheeseburger" skit.

There are lots of yummy looking sorts of things in the Braising (by Molly Stevens) cookbook that I have. Do you have a Dutch oven?

Fajitas? Stroganoff? The Beef, It's What's for Dinner website:
    http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/re ... efault.asp

I'm going to be humming the music to those commercials all day.

Comment

Last week I tried the Beef Borgunone (have no idea how to spell it) recipe from Barefoot Contessa. It was super easy to make and was delicious. Since it's essentially a stew, you can use "cheaper" cuts like chuck. And you can also use it for the sauce in Eggs Benedict.

We're both huge carnivores and eat red meat a lot. Most often I just grill the meat for steaks. But you can also put strips on salads or in quesadillas. I also have a recipe for Russian been, mushroom and potato stew if you're interested.

Comment

Do you have a prime rib roast in there? I make an excellent, sublimely superb and perfect prime rib!
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I seriously have some of everything. It's a chest freezer FULL of beef. And part of my problem is that I don't know what some of it is. It's all labeled, but not necessarily w/the same "terms" that you would get from a grocery store (or at least terms I'm familiar with).

Shoulder Roast, Pikes Peak Roast, Arm Roast, Chuck Roast, Tenderized Round Steak, loads of T-Bone Steak, Minute Steaks, Sirloin, Ribs, Stew Meat, Brisket (which is HUGE), and about 100 lbs of ground beef.

Nellie - thanks for that site. I should have thought of that.

Comment

Jenn-

I'll ask my mom for some recipes for a little of everything. She is after all the butcher's daughter and grew up with dead deer hanging on the balcony of the hotel my grandparents owned- ewww. (and no shock, she's not a real fan of venison)

Jenn

Comment

I love beef...

Fajitas
              Tacos
              Stir-Fry
              Steak Sandwiches (yum!)
              Cheesesteaks
              Black and Bleu Salad
              Peppercorn Steak
              Steak with Balsamic Glaze!!
              Stroganoff
              Meatballs
              Beef Enchiladas
              Meatloaf
              Italian Wedding Soup
              Beef Skewers
              French Dips

Hmm...can you see why I was never interested in becoming a vegetarian?

Let me know if you need more!

Comment

Prime Rib

Get a large end bone in rib roast. (Small end works too).

1/2 c. red wine
                1 pkg. Au Jus seasoning
                1 Tbsp. Thyme
                1 Tbsp. Rosemary
                1 Tbsp. Basil
                2 rounded tsp. or two cloves crushed garlic
                1/4 tsp. celery salt
                1 Tbsp. meat tenderizer

Stir all to make a paste. Use fresh cut herbs if possible.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the bone away (close to the bone as possible) from the roast. Rub both the rib bones and roast with the seasoning paste. Place ribs first in roasting pan with tinfoil. Place the roast on top of the ribs. Use tinfoil to create a bowl to come up over much of your roast (leaving the top and sides a bit exposed. Use 3/4 c of water to rinse the rest of the seasonings from your mixing bowl. Pour this into the bottom of your tinfoil bowl around the roast.

Place a meat thermometer in your roast.

Place in 400 degree oven to sear for 30 minutes. Turn down the oven temperature to about 200 degrees, tent the remainder of the roast with foil, and cook until desired temperature.

I recommend for medium rare (the best flavor) 145-150 degrees. I usually take mine out at about 147. I don't recommend cooking for longer than that. It will take forever (it already takes several hours!), and it will lose tenderness. If you enjoy your meat a bit more done, so be it, but I can't take responsibility!
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Groun beef is also good for lasagna and Bolognese sauce. Neither have a feel of a beef dish, so it won't feel like eating meat.

Comment

It sounds like you've got some nice cuts! I'd be afraid of messing up, but if you're as good as I know you are at cooking, then I'm sure the filet mignon and beef bourgign...(how's it spelled?!?!) would turn out really well!
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

You have beef ribs? Nice!

Deviled Beef Bones:
                      4lbs. beef ribs
                      2t chili powder
                      1/4t dry mustard
                      1/8t pepper.
                      1T paprika
                      3/4t salt
                      1/4t garlic powder

Liberally coat all sides of meat with seasoning mixture

Place single layer of ribs, meaty side down, into shallow roasting pan(s).
                      Roast 450 degrees for 30 minutes. Drain off fat. Combine spices in shaker. Sprinkle evenly on all sides of ribs. Reduce heat to 350. Continue roasting 45 more minutes...

yum...one of mom's best I think...but I don't find or buy beef ribs often.

Comment

If you have short ribs....These are great!

3 T flour
                        1.5 t salt
                        3lbs beef short ribs
                        1/2 cup chopped onion
                        1/4t whole allspice
                        8 medium size carrots, pared
                        2 T brown sugar
                        1/8t black pepper
                        2 T shortening
                        1 bay leaf
                        1/2 cup water
                        8 small white onions, peeled
                        1 T mustard

Combine flour, sugar, 1t of the salt and pepper. Coat ribs. Melt shortening in duch oven with tightly fitting cover. Brown ribs well, turning to get all sides. Sprinkle remaining flour mixture, onion, bayleaf, and allspice over meat. Add water and 1T. mustard. Cover and cook slowly until tender - about 2 hours. 30 minutes before end add vegetables. Add more water if necessary. Thicken remaining cooking liquid for gravy and season if needed.

Comment

Here is another one for short ribs. It's one of our favorites.

Beef Short Ribs in Chipotle and Green Chili Sauce

1 tsp salt
                          1 tsp pepper
                          1 tsp cumin
                          1 tsp chili powder
                          1/2 tsp ground coriander
                          8 3-inch long beef short ribs

2 Tbsp olive oil
                          1 1/2 cups chopped onion
                          6 garlic cloves, minced
                          1 14 oz can chicken broth
                          1 c drained canned diced tomatoes
                          1/4 c lime juice
                          1 1/2 Tbsp chopped canned chipotle chilies

3 large fresh Anaheim chilies, stemmed, seeded, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rings

Mix first 5 ingredients together; sprinkle all over ribs. Cover ribs and chill 1 hour or up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 350. Heat oil over med-high heat and brown ribs on all sides. Transfer ribs to plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic to same pot; cover and cook until onion is soft ~ 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to boil. Add tomatoes, lime juice, and chilies. Return ribs to pot, meaty side down in single layer. Bring to boil; cover and cook in oven 1 1/2 hours.

Remove pot from oven. Skim fat. Simmer uncovered over medium heat ~ 25 minutes or until sauce coats spoon.

It's a little time consuming but worth it. I've also had great success throwing it into the crock pot instead of the oven after browning the ribs.
                          Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

Working...
                          X