Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Song of Ice and Fire Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Song of Ice and Fire Series

I recently started reading these books (the ones the Game of Thrones TV show is now based on) and I've raced through the first three and am currently reading book four. I'm trying to slow myself down since I know after book five I'll have to sit twiddling my thumbs until Martin finishes writing the sixth book.

Has anyone else read the series? If so, did you find book four annoying or slow? I'm frustrated that he is introducing so many new characters and plot lines. He's already got, like, a million. Why add more?? That said, it hasn't stopped me from reading. I just feel a little overloaded at this point and wish he'd flesh out or finish any of the loose threads he's started in the first three books.

Aside from that criticism, I've found them to be very entertaining. I like that his characters are both good and evil. I also like seeing the same people through different narrators in the different sections. It's interesting how the same person can seem totally evil in one set of stories and like a competent strong leader in another. (I'm thinking about Sam's dad and Tywin Lannister.)

His portrayals of women seem a little off to me. I'd be angry at all the prostitutes and sexual violence if he wasn't also presenting women leaders -- although all of the "strong women" seem more flawed and cardboard than his male characters. I'm not sure he's got a handle on how to write women.

Love the political intrigue. It's like West Wing. With swords. And dragons. And those prostitutes I mentioned. OK. It's not like West Wing.

My favorite character: Tyrion....

My favorite book so far: Probably Game of Thrones (1) although I also liked the third book. Book Four is pissing me off.

Anyone else reading them? Or finished with them and ready to share an opinion?
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

I started reading the first one and fell off the wagon. I need to pick it back up.

Isn't Tyrion everyone's favorite character?
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Comment

I've read them all so far, and I definitely agree with most of the points you brought up. The first book was the best, the second and third were good and kept me hanging on, but books 4 and 5 started to bug me. He's dropped so many small storylines that I thought were going somewhere, and he absolutely tortures the characters that you love the most. You get absolutely NO satisfaction in the 4th and 5th books - things get worse, not better. I'm sure I'll keep reading because I want to get some satisfaction out of all my effort reading the last couple books!

Tyrion is definitely the best. Arya is pretty kick-ass too. Danerys and Jon Snow grew on me after a while.
      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I like Arya too -- but her storyline is irritating me because it seems like it's just a perpetual run, run, run, and never get anywhere thing. Maybe that changes? Don't ruin it for me. Maybe she'll get killed! Or maimed! He does torture your favorites, doesn't he? Jaime has grown on me, too. I liked that he was a total jerk and now....not a TOTAL jerk. Just a partial jerk. Obviously maiming helps.

I'm sad to here it just gets more frustrating. Hope he's reading reviews and does some course corrections for book 6 and 7. I wouldn't want this to be like the TV show LOST all over again.... (Awesome, AweSOME, AWESOME.....*thud*)
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
          I'm sad to here it just gets more frustrating. Hope he's reading reviews and does some course corrections for book 6 and 7. I wouldn't want this to be like the TV show LOST all over again.... (Awesome, AweSOME, AWESOME.....*thud*)
          That's my fear and why I stopped after book 1 (well that and I got sidetracked as I often do). Maybe if he wraps it up nicely I'll start back with book 2. I like Tyrion and Arya (she's the spunky little daughter, right? -- it's been a while). There are so many other books I want to read, I think I'm too ADD to keep up with one series for 7 books. Apart from Harry Potter, of course.
          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I also love the series! I usually won't read series until they're complete, but DH suckered me into reading this and Wheel Of Time.

The problem with books 4 and 5 is the "Meereenese Knot" - the problem that he encountered when he decided to change it from a trilogy with a 5-year gap to a fully developed epic fantasy series. There's a good explanation here: http://www.hippoiathanatoi.com/Liter..._with_Dragons/ I'm hoping that now that the knot is mostly resolved, the next book will pick up the pace of the first few books.
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

LM, I didn't know that about books 4 and 5 -- that explains a lot. And it makes me a little more optimistic about the pacing and activity of the next book. It sounds like we can't expect the next one for at least a couple more years though...
              Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

4 and 5 were originally supposed to be one book, too, but it just got too big, and he got stuck on Dany's part, so he pulled out some characters. That's why the chronology is messed up between the two, too. I wonder if they'll fix it someday in future releases.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                X