Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I'm never going to a midnight showing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm never going to a midnight showing

I don't know if you have seen the article trending on FB, but apparently there was a plot by one man to shoot up a twilight opening night show. Luckily his own mother had a suspicion and turned him in.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/cops-stop-a...9#.UKf3hofO1wk
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Would it be in inexcusably poor taste to admit that my first thought was:

"Isn't that the movie with that unremarkable-looking, perpetually scowling teenybopper and the metrosexual boyfriend that she cheated on? A story about vampire love that could appeal only to the 11-15 year old girl demographic? The guy probably just understandably snapped after his girlfriend insisted that he camp out in line the night before and take her to the midnight showing..."

I'm not defending my reaction--just confessing it.

Comment

I went and saw the last movie in the series Friday after work. My neighbors won Midnight showings. It's a Mother and her 13 year old daughter and they were really excited about it. It was good but I confess my Mom sort of ruined it for me because she said she read the books on one of her trips. We were driving around Oregon when she came to visit in April and we had some time to kill so I asked her to tell me about it since I hadn't read the series and had only seen the movies. The last movie was just like the book from the way she described it except for the twist ending that Stephanie Meyers didn't write. It was neat to finally see Bella as a Vampire and to be part of the millions of people around the world finally seeing the final conclusion to the Twilight Saga. It's a generational thing like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, E.T. and now The Hunger Games.

I have to say if you haven't seen it then you're missing out on being part of something bigger, something that is a part of our culture, that connects many people across the world of all ages, genders and social status. Dh wasn't into it thinking it was for teenagers but he's watched prior movies with me and gets and respects it. Just like I get and respect he's into guy movies and I'll watch them with him even if it's not my thing. When the neighbors were talking about it excitedly he didn't feel left out of the loop of what's been going on and building up to this point for the past seven years.

I read about the guy that planned a Batman style copy cat attack and I just thought, "What the hell is wrong with people today? Why are there so many cases of people wanting to go on gun rampages and shoot a bunch of people? It's sickening and disgusting."

I don't think it's a gun rights issue as much as a mental health issue, metal well being, mental wellness, lack of community involvement and a disconnectedness in our society. I'm glad his Mom caught the signs and called authorities. I wish more people were in touch with others who have lost it like this in the past and were able to alert authorities before these horrific tragedies occurred.
      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I have to disagree. The entire series is a steaming pile if poorly written dreck and decidedly unworthy of being any generations' "thing".

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
          I have to disagree. The entire series is a steaming pile if poorly written dreck and decidedly unworthy of being any generations "thing".
          This.

The Hunger Games was at least well-written.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Agreed. The books and the movies are complete garbage.
            I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Ok the books were poorly written, the acting was generally awful, but "SharkBoy" beefed up rather nicely.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                Ok the books were poorly written, the acting was generally awful, but "SharkBoy" beefed up rather nicely.
                A-frickin-men!!!
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                  I have to disagree. The entire series is a steaming pile if poorly written dreck and decidedly unworthy of being any generations' "thing".
                  Yup.
                  Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I agree, I read the books they were not good and I have no desire to see any of the movies.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Back to the OP - opening night showings seem to attract all kinds of wackos and "haters". It's sad that people don't feel safe even going to the movies :/
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

We had a sitter last night who had been to a midnight showing the night before, she said it was kind of creepy and they were kind of observant of who was there besides the usual high school kids. I'm to old to go to midnight showings.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

This really makes me sick. I've been to two movies since the Batman shooting and I was definitely more alert to my surroundings than usual. And a guy who's "off his medicine" can obtain two assault rifles and 400 rounds of ammunition in two days?!?!? That shit should not happen. Period.
                          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Actually, I think if you haven't seen the movies, you really are missing out. They are absolutely freakin' hilarious. I recommend drinking heavily beforehand and going with a group of frat boys.
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Whoa, whoa--I'm sorry--I didn't think my comment re: the bland actors and 7th-grade girl-appeal was even controversial. I didn't mean to offend. It seemed like a given. But I did not mean to suggest that it makes the books or movies devoid of importance from a cultural commentary point-of-view. A lot of pop culture seems sophomoric or low-brow or intellectually dull when it is popular, but is important because it speaks to something common (universally experienced) going on. After all, people thought Jane Austin was low-brow in her day. And vampire teenage fiction is still better than that almost-unreadable "Shades of Gray"--at least "Twilight" isn't confused about being important as a literary work.

The idea that society sucks the lifeblood away from women as they are asked to give up their identity to achieve a place certainly doesn't seem like a far-fetched theme that might speak broadly. Vampires may be an appropriate genre.

I really was just making a joke. I didn't mean to offend anyone who likes the movies. I love reruns of "The Nanny." Everyone has their pop culture indulgences.

Comment

Working...
                              X