Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

This American Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This American Life

I have recently realized that I find myself listening to books on tape or podcasts while I'm working, cleaning, driving, or showering instead of listening to music. I think I like to hear a story to keep me engaged instead of listening to music that makes my mind wander or reminsice (I've also been super anxious lately and listening to certain music manages to reiginte thoughts or memories or worries that make me MORE anxious. Crazy, party of one).

So I started listening to This American Life, which I had heard of before but never listened to. Some of these episodes are REALLY great--super interesting stories or editorials and they actually have substance and educate you. So I bought the TAL app, which, for $2.99 allows you to stream every single episode from the beginning of the broadcast in 1993.

What are some of your favorite episodes, ones that you'd consider "must hears"??

Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

The one about the petty thugs -- workplace bullies? - was good. I also loved the one about "money is fiction". The big pool of money and the health care reform ones are fascinating. I listen to TAL a lot. I'll have to find actual episode names for you.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

The first one I listened to was the one from last week--"Dr. Gilmer and Mr. Hyde"--about neuro degenerative disorders and their effects. I was floored and completely enthralled by the story...it's like your brain can hold you hostage inside yourself and make you unrecognizable. It's amazing and terrifying.
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

DH has listened to almost all of then.

The one about patents is fascinating. Apparently my company started the whole East Texas thing. So proud, ha.

There was one about children reading letters from dead parents that made me cry.

I always enjoy the David Sedaris bits too
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
          The one about the petty thugs -- workplace bullies? - was good. I also loved the one about "money is fiction". The big pool of money and the health care reform ones are fascinating. I listen to TAL a lot. I'll have to find actual episode names for you.
          After googling "best episodes of This American Life", the "Giant Pool of Money" episode is listed many, many times. I can't wait to listen to more!

sigpic

Comment

I'm no TAL connoisseur, but definitely Giant Pool of Money. The recent Trends with Benefits was interesting too. I like almost all of their Planet Money collaborations.

There's a story from Dan Savage about coming out and his mom and church that had me bawling like a baby. They've replayed that in a few episodes I think.

And one about two women who were switched at birth.

ETA: I think Return to the Scene of the Crime has the Dan Savage story - thank you, Google.
            Last edited by oceanchild; 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I always laugh thinking of the Little Mermaid answering machine message. Anyone remember that episode?

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                recent Trends with Benefits was interesting too.

There's a story from Dan Savage about coming out and his mom and church that had me bawling like a baby. They've replayed that in a few episodes I think.

And one about two women who were switched at birth.

ETA: I think Return to the Scene of the Crime has the Dan Savage story - thank you, Google.
                I listened to "Trends with Benefits" last night. Very interesting, though I didn't find it completely surprising (in my previous job at a hospital we actually had a speaker come in about that very issue and revealed some of these surprising facts).

sigpic

Comment

Love me some Ira Glass and David Sedaris

Comment

I remember the little mermaid voicemail! You can't go wrong with TAL. I remember one episode about pimps that kept me driving around a parking lot until it was finished.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I listened to "The House on Loon Lake" on my walk to my car and my drive home and sat in the parking lot until it was over!
                      Last edited by WolfpackWife; 04-19-2013, 10:47 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                        Loon Lake is awesome, but my faves include

Dr Gilmer and Mr Hyde (Riveting! last week's show)
                        Harper High School Parts 1&2 - very poignant
                        Backed into a Corner
                        Conventions
                        Halloween (1996)
                        Fall Clearance Sale (David Sedaris and Amy Sedaris kill me)
                        Frenemies
                        How We Talked Back Then - totally cracks me up in some parts

Ugh, I LOVED Dr. Gilmer & Mr. Hyde. It was the first ep. I listened to this week and it was just so captivating and sad and scary. Soooo good. Going to re-listen to it this weekend with DH. Right up his alley.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bittersweet View Post
                          I always laugh thinking of the Little Mermaid answering machine message. Anyone remember that episode?
                          Hahaha I'm listening to that right now--such a funny message "GUH-BYE"

sigpic

Comment

I am thoroughly enjoying these episodes. I loved "Frenemies" and on my way home today, listened to "The Super" which I was glued to!

sigpic

Comment

I just finished listening to Dr. Gilmer and was appalled by so many facets.

I kept thinking it was an atypical seizure disorder.
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X