Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do I need a Kindle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poky View Post
    I went to my local library's website, they have a link for ebooks, and I followed it and just by putting in my library card number, I was able to borrow books, and when I chose the "kindle" format, it took me to amazon, where I clicked a button to download it to my kindle paperwhite. I *think* the system's using overdrive.com, but I could be wrong.

Amazon has a "lending library", you can get to it from amazon.com (look for kindle books that are prime eligible), or from the menu of the kindle itself, but the selection's pretty limited, and you only get one book per month.

www.gutenberg.org is a project to put out-of-copyright classics into various ebook formats.

If you want to organize your ebook files, calibre is a great tool for that. My husband set ours up so there's a URL I can go to on my kindle that lets me browse/search our calibre library and tap "download" to pull any book from it.
    Thank you! I'll check out our library's website. I didn't know how to go about it, since my Nook came with some literature on doing the same thing with library books but the Kindle didn't. I didn't know if there were any free books besides the Prime eligible ones, but I did figure out how to refine my book search to only the lending/Prime ones yesterday so I snagged a free on. I've got to be conscious about how much I'm spending on books because a) I can seriously get carried away and b) I share a bank account with someone now therefore I am subject to scrutiny and judgement from someone other than myself
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
      Thank you! I'll check out our library's website.
      You may have to download the Adobe book program to borrow from your local library. You essentially download it, then download the books to it, and then transfer the books to your Kindle or Nook in the program. It's not hard once you figure out whether you need that program or not. Your library should have a link to it if you need to use it.

Comment

Kindles will only support their own format so most libraries have the option to check out the kindle version (instead of d/l, it'll take you to the amazon site to d/l). Overdrive and adobe formats don't work on the kindle white.

Comment

On our library website there is an eBook link that gives instructions similar to what Sandy described - through Overdrive. I'm familiar with Overdrive, as I check out audiobooks on my phone to listen to. I'm wondering if it will work well with my paperwhite - directions indicated to checkout books through Overdrive and then you'd be taken to Amazon to download to the Kindle. I'm very excited to have this - it's indulgent and I didn't *need* it, but not only was it thoughtful of DH, I will get so much use out of it.
          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X