Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What was that book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was that book?

I have this nagging memory of a wonderful book I read in...god...it had to be middle school. But I cannot for the life of me remember the title, or many details. I thought maybe if I shared what I remembered, someone here might know what I'm talking about? I've thought about this book a lot over the years, but I've never been able to recall the title or more details.

All I can remember is that it's fiction, it has to do with a boy who somehow befriends and visits an old man and *I think* the story evolves into the sort where his time with the old man teaches him lessons about life, etc. I believe it was set in the UK, but that could be wrong. I also *think* the boy had some sort of strife at home.

I also think it may have been, in some way, required reading during middle school - perhaps it was on a list of suggested reading for a certain year?

It's a long shot, but maybe the iMSN think tank will know what I'm talking about.
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Karate Kid? Sorry, I'm no help, but that does match your description
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Hahaha - not quite, but you're right, I guess KK does fit that description!
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Not The Giver? Not quite the same plot, but it involves a young boy and an old man.

Any of these? http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...hool_Book_List
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

YES!! I figured it out! "Goodnight, Mr. Tom". My recollection of the description was slightly off but Google came through for me.

sigpic

Comment

I've had a couple of those "I remember this vaguely, what was it" books, and I think I've finally managed to find them all. The latest one I just finally rediscovered a few months ago: "Children of the Dust". Nuclear winter story from the POV of kids living through it. Made a huge impression on me when I was about 15.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
              I've had a couple of those "I remember this vaguely, what was it" books, and I think I've finally managed to find them all. The latest one I just finally rediscovered a few months ago: "Children of the Dust". Nuclear winter story from the POV of kids living through it. Made a huge impression on me when I was about 15.
              Sounds interesting, I don't think I've read that one! I remember "Good Night, Mr. Tom" having that sort of impact on me - it just moved me for some reason. There was another book I read in elementary school/5th grade that I felt similarly about, but I don't remember a single thing about it, I just vaguely remember the colors of the cover. I wish I had kept some sort of record or list of books I read in middle/elem. school. I've always been a voracious reader, but for some reason the books I read in late elem school and middle school had huge impacts on me and stayed with me for a long time. I guess there's just a lot of good YA fiction out there. Makes me want to be an elementary school librarian.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                There was another book I read in elementary school/5th grade that I felt similarly about, but I don't remember a single thing about it, I just vaguely remember the colors of the cover. I wish I had kept some sort of record or list of books I read in middle/elem. school.
                I have that same problem...there was this children's book that I'd love to get for my future kids that I adored as a child because the illustrations were so beautiful... I know they were full page illustrations and stunning. I know it had a poor large family in it but that's all I can remember (and it's not stone soup -- but similar maybe)?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. MD, Esq. View Post
                  I have that same problem...there was this children's book that I'd love to get for my future kids that I adored as a child because the illustrations were so beautiful... I know they were full page illustrations and stunning. I know it had a poor large family in it but that's all I can remember (and it's not stone soup -- but similar maybe)?
                  Hmm...I wish I had a guess for you, but the only thing that comes to mind is The Boxcar Children, but no illustrations (that I remember)

sigpic

Comment

There was this book I read in 7th grade that I loved at the time. I went back and read it as an adult. It sucked. It was veiled in religious Mormon subtext that I didn't pick up on at 12 years old (I grew up in Utah). Anyway, it has great reviews on Amazon. Go figure. The Alliance by Lund.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                    X