Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Writing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing

Lots of readers but any writers amongst us?

So difficult a step from knowing what you like to read to writing something other people want to read and share.

Dave
    Using Tapatalk

A few, yes. We've got some members with novels published, and a few more with half a novel in a drawer.

We also have a few who write professionally.

I'm one with the novel in a drawer! I try to do National Novel Writing Month each year but have only finished once. I'm great at plotting and starting. Not so good at finishing or endings!

We should start a writers group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

That'd be interesting. I've one book out there but discussing 2nd with publisher. Contracts get very complicated especially as my interest is that the books raise money for charity.

Dave
      Using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm an organizational writer by day, a part-time grad student and creative writer by night. I have about a third of a novel in a drawer. I work on it regularly, mostly because it's free entertainment that keeps my brain working! I haven't put any of my creative work out "into the universe" yet. But it keeps me out of trouble.
        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I write professionally about small business marketing and technology, but creative writing's never been my thing.

Comment

I'm finishing up my Master's degree in Technical and Professional Communication and have focused largely on technical writing and editing. I've not done much writing "for fun" since my undergrad days, but one of my post-graduate goals is to begin journaling again, which I think will serve as a jumping off point for more creative writing. I'm also hoping to restart my job search after I've finished graduate school and am hoping to find a technical writing/editing job.
            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I'm also one of the writers around here. I wrote for a mom's column a few years ago (local newspaper) and have also published a couple of things.

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by ballibeg View Post
                That'd be interesting. I've one book out there but discussing 2nd with publisher. Contracts get very complicated especially as my interest is that the books raise money for charity.

Dave

What is your book about and for which charity do you raise money?
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

As a family we ended up in a media storm when my daughter blogged her school dinners. We wrote a book about it and raised money for Mary's Meals which gives free lunches to kids in developing countries to encourage them into education.

Dave
                  Using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know what school lunches are like in Scotland, but if they're anything like they are here in the US, that had to have been one gross blog. Poor kiddo. Good for her.

Comment

Oh my gosh I remember hearing about that on the news over here in the U.S. a few years ago. Wow! Kudos to your daughter!

Comment

OMG! I've been following your daughter since shortly after she started blogging! Loved the pictures of the visit to the new school kitchen you and she helped build! It's really a small world, isn't it?
                        Sandy
                        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

That's so awesome!
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Writer here. Started in newspapers and magazines; I was a columnist and culture writer for ten-ish years. I still do some newspaper and magazine work, but also now take on corporate clients and do business things - white papers mostly. It pay a lot better than newspaper work. I've taught a lot of writing, and published some bad poems, some great essays, a little fiction, and a variety of odds and ends.

Congrats on your daughter's blog. Sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                              I try to do National Novel Writing Month each year but have only finished once. I'm great at plotting and starting. Not so good at finishing or endings!
                              I did NaNoWriMo for the first time this year! I finished, but it was sort of a stretch. I started a few days late, so I wrote a good amount of gobbledegook to get up to that many words. I can't wait to do it again next year! It was a blast!
                              Wife of a PGY-1 podiatric surgery resident, mom to two cat babies with a human one on the way!

Comment

Working...
                              X