Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hardback v. Paperback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardback v. Paperback?

Which do you prefer when you're buying books? I really like paperback, I think because of their portability and they feel less cumbersome. DH loves hardbacks, and would rather buy a book in hardback even if he had the option of either/or.

And that concludes the pointless, boring either/or survey for today
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Hardback when I have the choice (and now the part where I sound horribly pathetic). A lot of paperbacks hurt my muscle between my thumb and pointer when I read for a long time. Those damn books just won't stay open!
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I have, sadly, gotten to the point where I despise reading a dead tree book. My kindle paperwhite is *so* *PERFECT* for the way I read (in bed; I read myself to sleep every night) that I just can't go back to reading words on real paper. With my kindle, I don't have to worry about having a light on that will stay on when I fall asleep, and I don't have to worry about losing my place. The only tradeoff is having to plug it in to charge once a month or so. Well worth it, to me.

I do still love "real" books, which is why it's sad to me that I can't stand reading them any more. I prefer paperbacks to hardbacks (less heavy, take up less space, easier to carry around, less painful when you fall asleep and they fall on you).
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Ebooks on my Nook all the way! But paperbacks (cheaper, and preferably from Half Price Books) if an ebook isn't an option.
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I love hardbacks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
            I have, sadly, gotten to the point where I despise reading a dead tree book. My kindle paperwhite is *so* *PERFECT* for the way I read (in bed; I read myself to sleep every night) that I just can't go back to reading words on real paper. With my kindle, I don't have to worry about having a light on that will stay on when I fall asleep, and I don't have to worry about losing my place. The only tradeoff is having to plug it in to charge once a month or so. Well worth it, to me.

I do still love "real" books, which is why it's sad to me that I can't stand reading them any more. I prefer paperbacks to hardbacks (less heavy, take up less space, easier to carry around, less painful when you fall asleep and they fall on you).
            I have been hit in the face with a book more times than I could count when I fall asleep reading laying down and it topples over onto my face!!
            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
              I have been hit in the face with a book more times than I could count when I fall asleep reading laying down and it topples over onto my face!!
              Heh. I mostly avoid this because I mostly sleep on my side, not my back, so the kindle is on the pillow next to my head, usually. DH has been hit with books when I fall asleep, in the past, though!
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Paperbacks for portability. Although I'm reading ebooks occasionally now, I'm still completely devoted to real books. Aside from hating additional screen time, I think a big part of it for me is that having a physical library around kept me reading a LOT as a kid, and when I have kids I want them to have shelves upon shelves to peruse at their leisure. I'm already starting a list of children's & young adult books that I want to buy for future kids, but if I'm any measuring stick my kids will be reading from my own shelves before middle school. You just don't pick up an ebook casually in the same way, you have to seek it out. I think that stunts the "reading culture".
                Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I've absolutely conked myself in the face reading my Kindle in bed... I miss having the shelves of books in the house, but it makes moving so much easier! I like pulling out my phone in checkout lines and reading a page or two, then coming home and my Kindle is at the exact same place. I remember carrying around Wheel of Time hardback books in my purse... Glad those days are over! Haha!
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Ebooks...otherwise paperless...I like to bend them back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Paperback! I love a good paperback book and a nice warm bath.

I resisted ebooks initially-because I don't like reading on the screen for long periods of time - but now I'm hooked on the portability of them so I do a mix of paper books and ebooks.
                      Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

I'm super torn about ebooks versus real books. DH bought me a Kindle last August and I took to it immediately. I do love the thing. It's light, convenient, and easy. I hate the two Nooks I had (both worked for less than a month before crapping out). For about 8 months after getting the Kindle, I perused the Amazon Daily Deals, and three different libraries worth of ebooks. I loaded up with some well-priced ebooks that are now mine, and with many temporary loans from the library.

But in the last month or so, I've longed for real books. I've bought stacks from B&N. It's like therapy to me. I've missed real books. I have started to make a real effort about which books I end up buying. If I'm paying full price for a hardcover it has to be something I think is worthwhile to add to our library, something that is well reviewed and respected and/or award winning in some capacity, or considered a classic (why I bought "One Hundred Years of Solitude" in hardcover when I found it on sale for $12), something that I truly, TRULY want (not just briefly interested in), or something that DH and I will both read (how we ended up with "Doctor Sleep" and "Inferno" recently). If I'm paying full price for paperbacks, I'm a little more lenient but I have gotten out of the habit of buying books on a whim that just look okay and I'm trying out. Because then I'm just stuck with a bunch of books I'm not crazy about. If I am curious about a book that could be borderline, I'll look for it first on the library lending site, then on Kindle, and then if it seems like I want to read it but it's not worth full price to me, I'll buy a used copy on Amazon.

I will say that since getting back into buying actual books, I utilize my GoodReads shelves heavily before going to the bookstore, so I have in mind some things I am interested in and/or want the most. Goodreads is seriously one of my most favorite things right now
                        Last edited by WolfpackWife; 06-11-2014, 08:27 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Depends. If it is a book by a fav author, hardback...although I have not always been able to get them that way. If it is a throw away as in on vacation or something on the sale table at a bookstore, I prefer paperback. If it is something I actually want to read, have checked out...then, it is kindle. I do have some of my favorites on kindle and hardback.
                          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Just an FYI for those of you who like audio books: 8 audio books for $10 right now at humblebundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/books
                            Sandy

Comment

Hardback v. Paperback?

I'm all about downloading audiobooks on the overdrive app from the library...currently listening to Bossypants. Normally I'm all about listening to YA dystopians at work but I may have changed my mind!

Comment

Working...
                              X