Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Books to read to kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love it!! Such great selections. We need to get back to read-alouds. They're so very important, even -- maybe even especially! -- for kids who are reading fluently, but it's hard to make time. We've been slowly making our way through Swallows and Amazons for almost a year, I think. O_o
    Alison

Comment

I think we've stuck with it because it's part of our bedtime routine. If it wasn't I think it would fall aside.
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

For a while we would read during baths, before bed. But that's also my break between dinner and bedtime, so since they're big enough to run their own baths and clean themselves, I often lurk downstairs instead of coming up to read. :\ Plus, they absolutely can't fall asleep without reading to themselves. So if we're getting close to bedtime they'd rather have their own book than the read-aloud.
        Alison

Comment

The blog "what did we do all day" has excellent recommendations for read alouds for all ages.

We have just started my fathers dragon and it's definitely a hit.
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

[MENTION=1315]TulipsAndSunscreen[/MENTION], Can you post a link? I'm on the website (mobile version) but I can't find the list of read aloud recommendations.

Comment

http://www.whatdowedoallday.com/books-for-kids

That's the crazy comprehensive list. Everything from girl protagonists, to non-white protagonists to books about dragons to books for summer and winter! You get the point...
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Thx!

Comment

Thanks again to everyone for this thread! DS1 and I read My Father's Dragon before bed every night for the past week. Not only did he love it, but now he's excited for the next chapter book we can read together. I wouldn't have even realized he was ready for longer books if it wasn't for this thread.

Comment

We just started the second book (I only get to read to them a few times a week because DH often does bedtime while I put the baby to bed) in the My Father's Dragon series. They LOVE it. Well, C loves it. D meanders about the room vaguely listening but that's just her...

Comment

K1 and I started Harry Potter. He loves it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                        K1 and I started Harry Potter. He loves it.

We're on HP3. We'll probably wait a bit after this one, HP4 onward are a bit dark for her.
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

This just made me really excited. Your first borns are 6 right? That's only 13 months from now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                            This just made me really excited. Your first borns are 6 right? That's only 13 months from now!!!
                            DD is 6.5 and we started earlier this year. It's been amazing.
                            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                              K1 turns 7 in 2 weeks. K2 has been listening too but doesn't follow the plot as well. He's 5.5yo.

Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Yeah I want to wait until she can understand the plot. But she will sit still and loves stories. I will likely do it as part of our homeschooling time next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X