Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Serial Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Podcast

Initial post, so I won't give any spoilers, but expect them if anyone else wants to discuss!

Who's listening to this? I just got caught up, and I love it! This is an ongoing podcast from the producers of This American Life about a real murder in which it isn't really clear whether the person found guilty actually committed the murder. It's fascinating and very well done. Highly recommend!

Anyone want to talk about their theories so far?
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

I'm in the middle of episode 9 (the latest episode) right now (I listen to several podcasts during my commute, so I'm a few days behind), and I think Jay's story is sketchy as hell; the inconsistencies from telling to telling, the lack of a phone outside best buy, etc., etc., etc. He's hiding SOMETHING. I'm disappointed that we're not going to get any real conclusion at the end, but I'm hoping that eventually all this attention will help get to the actual truth of what happened.

I'm not as obsessed as friends of mine who ALSO listen to podcasts DISCUSSING the podcast, and read everything they can find about it, etc. I'm just enjoying the story and enjoying being led along on the process of uncovering as much of the truth as Sarah can find.

I'm curious about the girl's family, and I can't remember if we've heard from or about them at all through all of this; would they be glad it's getting attention again, or upset that the guy they assumed killed her might not have, or just upset that it's all big news again, 15 years after it was put to rest?
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I'm listening too!! It's captivating!

I agree, Sandy. Jay is sketchy...there are a lot of holes in some of what the prosecution did or didn't do. It doesn't feel thorough in some places, and Sarah Koenig points out some omissions during several of the episodes. I'm also troubled by the people Sarah spoke with and the fact that none of them (or at least most of them) were never questioned or even contacted by the police - i.e. the girl who knows for a fact (well, "fact") that there was never a pay phone outside of Best Buy and therefore negating Jay's story....but the cops never asked her about that.
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I am obsessed with the podcast. Someone's a huge liar - Adnan or Jay but I can't figure out who.

Sandy, Hae's brother posted on reddit. I am so heartbroken for her family.
        http://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcas...er_do_not_ama/

Comment

I know it must be so hard for her family. That part makes me feel kind of guilty for listening, but it really is so fascinating that I can't help it...

I think Jay is the liar. It seems like the timeline of his story is debunked by both Asia (who saw Adnan at the library) and the other wrestling team captain (who saw Hae before the match). Maybe Adnan was involved, but I don't think it happened the way Jay is saying.
          Laurie

Comment

I'm one behind and find it fascinating. I've met some good liars so I'm still unsure.
            Using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok I waited to click on this thread until I was all the way caught up. I'm obsessed with the podcast, and I'm so bummed it's ending next week.
              Do you think there will be any kind of resolution at all? What ever happened to that lawyer from an earlier episode who was having a group of students look into it? Did we ever hear anything else from them?

Comment

I think the Innocence Project is still working on it. Last I had heard, they requested to test the PERK (physical evidence recovery kit) and had 2 other suspects whose DNA they wanted to compare to the DNA they found at the scene. I don't know if the evidence was thrown out, as they had mentioned could be a possibility in the podcast.
                I don't think there will be a resolution next week unfortunately. But I'm hoping this publicity will help find the real killer and free Adnan. I've gone back and forth on whether he's guilty but I'm 90% sure he's innocent now. It's mind boggling how someone could be put in jail for life with such little evidence and the word of one shady individual.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenclaw View Post
                  It's mind boggling how someone could be put in jail for life with such little evidence and the word of one shady individual.
                  Yes, this! I don't think there was any of the "beyond a shadow of a doubt" that we're all led to believe happens in a guilty conviction. I hope the Innocence Project finds something helpful.
                  Laurie

Comment

These parodies are hilarious:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kristinchiri...oin#.qr2VjA64r

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrel...getting-better
                    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Argh, I just finished it last night. No way could I have convicted him. Too many details are sketchy.

I hope she does a follow up when the innocence project has updates.
                      Kris

Comment

I agree. There wasn't anything close to "beyond a reasonable doubt". I don't think it was a serial killer, but I would be totally unsurprised if they retest the DNA evidence and find Jay guilty. He knows too much, and the facts that the investigators hired his attorney and he never did time are too shady. I think the investigators didn't consider him enough once he gave them a good story they felt they could sell to a jury.
                        Laurie

Comment

I just finished. I'm kind obsessed. It was great. I'm super bummed it's over.

Poky - what's the podcast discussing the podcast? I could totally get into that..... 😊.

Comment

Slate has a podcast discussing Serial, but there may be others as well.

And here's an article based on a recent interview Jay gave. http://www.vox.com/2014/12/31/747296...w-adnan-serial

Not that I'm obsessed or anything!

Comment

New serial podcast out? Popped up on my feed. Look forward to listening.
                              Using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X