Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Podcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podcasts

What podcasts do you listen to?
    Grace

I downloaded the player fm app on my phone and have been downloading podcasts so I can listen offline during my subway rides. Looking for suggestions! Right now I have
    Optimal living daily
    Inspire nation
    This American life
    The chalene show
    The one you feed
    Heather dubrow's world
    The economist

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gcuthbe1; 02-06-2016, 04:37 PM.
    Grace

Comment

Freakonimics is hands down one of the best out there.

Only Human (medical/science but very compelling)

The sporkful (foodie but not over the top)
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I'm following this! I love listening to podcasts in the evening when I'm tidying up, but I am kind of picky about what I listen to so I keep dropping subscriptions. Right now I listen to a knitting podcast, a dog agility podcast, and sometimes Happier with Gretchen Rubin. But I run out of episodes all the time.
        Alison

Comment

Friday Night Comedy from BBC Radio 4 (they're currently in a run of "the news quiz", which is fun; some of the other shows they put on it aren't quite as well-done)
          Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (fun NPR news quiz)
          Ted Radio Hour (NPR - radio adaptations of TED talks, several talks on a theme for each episode)
          The Infinite Monkey Cage (nerdy british science/comedy with Brian Cox and Robin Ince)
          This Won't Hurt a Bit (recorded by a co-resident of DH's (one year behind him) and Mel Herbert, who is awesome - medical stuff for the layperson from the POV of two EM docs)
          Nerdist (I <3 Chris Hardwick)
          Brain Stuff (super-short (usually less than 5 minutes) explanations of things, like "How does safety glass work?" and "Is it true that a diesel engine can operate underwater?")
          Listen To Lucy (short VERY opinionated essays from a financial journalist from the Financial Times (british), often amusing)
          AutoPilot - haven't had any new ones recently, but there are a few seasons out there; they pick a TV show, and then discuss its pilot in detail.
          Invisibilia (NPR)
          Star Talk Radio - I often delete these without listening because they're long, and as much as I love Neil DeGrasse Tyson, his radio voice and his "comedy sidekick" on the show, and the longish ad-breaks get on my nerves after a while. He does interview some cool people, though.
          As it Happens - CBC news interview show; they don't report the news so much as get people intimately involved with it on the phone and ask them questions and let them tell the story, and it's from a Canadian perspective, which is kinda cool. They also tell bad bad puns and usually at least one story is just pure fun/feel-good/human interest. It's over an hour every single weekday, though, so these also often get deleted without listening, to keep my queue under control.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I am going to have to check some of these out. If you like This American Life you may also like Radiolab. Those are the two we usually listen to on road trips. I know people really like Serial too but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

FiveThirtyEight

Surprisingly Awesome

Startup

Reply All

Re/code Decode - technology

Mom and Dad Are Fighting - parenting podcast from Slate

The Rachel Maddow Show

Uninterrupted (from Women's Health)

Heather Dubrow's World - (guilty pleasure)

Comment

I don't listen to many, but my little library includes:
                NPR Hourly News Summary (5 minute recap of the top news stories of the day/hour)
                TED Radio Hour
                Radiolab
                Mom and Dad are Fighting
                Pop Culture Happy Hour
                Planet Money
                Stuff You Missed in History Class
                Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I just listened to a new podcast called Quiet (based on the book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking) and actually had to pause the first episode halfway through because I kept tearing up. It's geared mainly towards how to raise/interact with introverted children and it hit so incredibly close to home for me; I kept thinking how different my childhood would have been if these resources were so readily available to the adults in my life. Anyway, I highly recommend this one to everyone, not just the introverts or parents.
                  Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I'm a longtime Slate podcast listener - my current favorites are the Political Gabfest, Amicus (Supreme Court commentary), and Whistlestop (campaign history).

I try to keep up with Serial and usually fail.

I like The Weeds from Vox but usually fail at that too.

And I've heard really good things about The Longest Shortest Time but still haven't gotten around to listening to it.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

*mod note* I unlocked this thread, hopefully I didn't step on any toes. I couldn't see a reason why it should be locked. If it was on purpose, feel free to re-lock and accept my apologies.
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Don't know who locked it, but it could have been accidental. I don't think there's anything lock-worthy, is there?
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Longest shortest time is great! I've listened to every episode.
                          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I love:

TAL

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!

Criminal

Radiolab

Fresh Air

TED Radio Hour

Savage Love

The Moth Podcast

ETA: this morning I'm giving "Here's the thing with Alec Baldwin" a chance and I am really enjoying it. He's a great interviewer and always seems super engaged in his guests.
                            Last edited by WolfpackWife; 02-09-2016, 07:10 AM.
                            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                              *mod note* I unlocked this thread, hopefully I didn't step on any toes. I couldn't see a reason why it should be locked. If it was on purpose, feel free to re-lock and accept my apologies.
                              I don't even know what that means!
                              But.... guessing it means it's now public? Sounds good to me!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                              Grace

Comment

Working...
                              X