Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anti-racism Readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-racism Readings

Hey everyone. I've been motivated by the national protests against police brutality and calls for anti-racist education to read more books about systemic racism and anti-racist action.

Right now I'm reading The Immortal Life oh Henrietta Lacks. Medical Apartheid should be here by Thursday. I'm focusing on racism within the medical system since I have worked with many BIPOC patients whose physical and mental health are impacted by racism, and because I want to be able to identify and confront racism in my own practice and within the care teams and organizations I work for.

Anyone want to join me in reading these, or share what you're reading or recommend?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

I just ordered Something Happened in Our Town: A Child's Story About Racial Injustice to read with my kids. It was sold out on Amazon last I checked, but still available on the American Psychological Association’s website.

https://www.apa.org/pubs/magination/441B228

If you only have 20 minutes, I watched a show on Netflix called Explained: The Racial Wealth Gap last night, and it was really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I enjoyed the Henrietta Lacks book. A few years ago I read "Black Ice" by Lorene Cary. It's a memoir about an African-American teenager from Philadelphia attending a New England prep school.
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
        I just ordered Something Happened in Our Town: A Child's Story About Racial Injustice to read with my kids. It was sold out on Amazon last I checked, but still available on the American Psychological Association’s website.

If you only have 20 minutes, I watched a show on Netflix called Explained: The Racial Wealth Gap last night, and it was really good.

May I borrow that when you’re finished?
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
          May I borrow that when you’re finished?
          Of course! 😊

Comment

Great idea. Thanks for the book suggestions.

Dave

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk
            Using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you read “Black Man in a White Coat”? I got it for DH one Christmas and it’s excellent (and in the vein of healthcare).

For fiction, Hate U Give is amazing. I felt like a got a whole new lens on my elite girls school and what it must have been like for the students of color.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                Have you read “Black Man in a White Coat”? I got it for DH one Christmas and it’s excellent (and in the vein of healthcare).

For fiction, Hate U Give is amazing. I felt like a got a whole new lens on my elite girls school and what it must have been like for the students of color.

I haven't! I'll check that out next.

I listened to The Hate U Give on audio a few months ago. Incredible.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Loved the Hate U Give and Henrietta Lacks book. I recently re-watched Just Mercy with my daughters and the Netflix 13th documentary. I highly recommend both. Currently reading An American Marriage by Tayari Jones and plan on watching If Beale Street Could Talk on Hulu this weekend.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I was hoping for discussion but CR has been shut down. This was one of the most powerful things I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb9_...R9HH8PecLu8Jkw

Comment

We watched the Sesame Street/CNN Town Hall this morning, and while my boys are a little old for SS, it still gave us a good jumping off point to start talking about racism and its history in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post

We watched Something happened in our Town online on a story time. https://youtu.be/lcOhOFGcWm8 it was a good discussion starter. I watched Just Mercy (free this month on Prime and other platforms) I plan to watched 13th soon when i have time. I wish I had time for reading. I'll checked out Explained too. 20 minutes is more doable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

13th was excellent. Highly recommend.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Just ordered Hate U Give this morning.

Comment

Black Like Me (novel) John Howard Griffen

I found the movie "Crash" brilliant and terrifying. The dicotomy between a characters love and respect for certain people in the movie -- and distrust/ contempt / hate of others is crafted so delicately and in some ways violently.

My daughter (17) and I just watched the movie "I am Not Your Negro" about James Baldwin (documentary)

Anything written by James Baldwin is golden.

Additionally Richard Wright is worth a read as well.

I find that reading about Jim Crow / civil rights racism helps me identify it today which is why I recommended Wright and Baldwin.
                              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                              X