Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Julie and Julia...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julie and Julia...

The rest of the title is something like 365 days, XXX recipes...

It's a very funny story of this one woman, Julie Powell, who decided to cook a meal from Julia Childs' tome "Mastering the Art of French Cooking"- EVERY DAY for one year. In a NYC apartment.

It is so funny in places that I laugh out loud. Adding to it is her struggle with fertility issues, her 'throbbing biological clock", the fact that she's working for an "unnamed Federal agency" where she and six other people are the only Democrats. My mother swears that Julie and are are cosmic twins.

Definitely a good read.

Jenn

It is in the stack next to the computer. That would be different than the stack of books by the bed... . I'm going to start it soon. Glad to hear you liked it!

Comment

I liked it too. It was funny to read about hunting for weird food items in NY and their moving. She's now writing for NYTimes occassionally. I was so upset when in a recent article she wrote that she separated from her husband. I think they got back together though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
        I was so upset when in a recent article she wrote that she separated from her husband. I think they got back together though.
        Oh my gosh! I can't believe that. They seemed so compatible in the book!

Anyhow, I read this book right when it came out--I think Thanksgiving '05--and it was awesome. Highly recommended, even if (like me) you're not a cook. If you liked this book, you'll also really like "The Know-It All" which was also on the NYT bestseller list. Very similar book, also loved it, only The Know-It All is about reading the entire encyclopedia, but is similar in that it's about someone undertaking a year-long personal project that has a lot of meaning for them.

I give this book 5 stars! It's a must read!

Comment

Books

Originally posted by veggiefriend
          Originally posted by Vishenka69
          I was so upset when in a recent article she wrote that she separated from her husband. I think they got back together though.
          Oh my gosh! I can't believe that. They seemed so compatible in the book!

Anyhow, I read this book right when it came out--I think Thanksgiving '05--and it was awesome. Highly recommended, even if (like me) you're not a cook. If you liked this book, you'll also really like "The Know-It All" which was also on the NYT bestseller list. Very similar book, also loved it, only The Know-It All is about reading the entire encyclopedia, but is similar in that it's about someone undertaking a year-long personal project that has a lot of meaning for them.

I give this book 5 stars! It's a must read!
          So, I've been looking for more non-fiction to read. I took all of your recommendations on Julie and Julia, and like it. I've requested The Know It All from my library because it looks like that same type of book. Could you recommend other similar books?

Thanks!!
          token iMSN "not a medical spouse"

Comment

Could you recommend other similar books?
            Since I am just starting it, I don't know if it qualifies as similar...but you could stick with the theme and read My Life in France by Julia Child and Alex Prud'Homme.

Do you like dogs? I enjoyed Marley and Me.

I'm starting Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell. I loved Assassination Vacation. She's not a big fan of George W. It's not the focus of either book but if that would be an issue, it could hinder your enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
              Could you recommend other similar books?
              Since I am just starting it, I don't know if it qualifies as similar...but you could stick with the theme and read My Life in France by Julia Child and Alex Prud'Homme.

Do you like dogs? I enjoyed Marley and Me.

I'm starting Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell. I loved Assassination Vacation.
              Love, love, love, love, LOVE both books!!!! I've taken to searching archives of This American Life for Sarah Vowell on npr.org, then playing them over my computer while I clean.

I'm such a party girl!!!!!

Comment

I really liked "The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific" by J. Maarten Troost. It was very funny and interesting.

Comment

I finished Julie/Julia this week and really enjoyed it. It is funny and loved her comments reading through a recipe and trying to figure out what to do. And it isn't just about food -- it's her experience over the year that is the real story.

Food wise, the lobsters were my favorite part.

Comment

Working...
                  X