Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Road

Just finished it (thought I would try one of Oprah's books for once) BIG mistake!!! I fully admit that I'm a "Disney girl" ....I don't do dark very well, but this brought a whole new meaning of DARK! UGH...I always tell the boys that their minds are like a swimming pool and that if they put negative thougts in, they stay for a longggg time....consider me polluted! It all went too far and I brought nothing away with me except a sick feeling in my stomach....I personally don't want to pay for entertainment that leaves me disturbed.

The following excerpt , of Denis Lehane's review, was enough for me to stay away...

Cormac McCarthy sets his new novel, The Road, in a post-apocalyptic blight of gray skies that drizzle ash, a world in which all matter of wildlife is extinct, starvation is not only prevalent but nearly all-encompassing, and marauding bands of cannibals roam the environment with pieces of human flesh stuck between their teeth. If this sounds oppressive and dispiriting, it is. McCarthy may have just set to paper the definitive vision of the world after nuclear war, and in this recent age of relentless saber-rattling by the global powers, it's not much of a leap to feel his vision could be not far off the mark nor, sadly, right around the corner.--Dennis Lehane

Comment

Oprah's book are always dark and depressing.

Jenn

Comment

Re: The Road

I am always drawn to apocalyptic type fiction- this is my book club's read for the month. I liked this book, but without a doubt it was very dark. It is a very quick read too.
        Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Originally posted by Cumberland
          I am always drawn to apocalyptic type fiction-
          My husband is, too, and he also recommends World War Z if this is your thing.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Thanks, I will check it out. I just picked up Alas Babylon too.
            Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Working...
            X