Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

kid lit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kid lit

I need some suggestions for DS to read this summer.

He just finished Kate Dicamilio's Tiger Rising which he loved.
    He devored the Magic Tree House series.
    He enjoyed Encyclopedia Brown
    Choose Your Own Adventure Series---never really took off with it.
    Secrets of Droon - "eh-so, so"
    He devours any movie novelization...the more heinous, the better (TMNT, Spiderman, Pirates of the Caribbean, Meet the Robinsons).

I'm looking for something he can competently read (level 3) which appeals to boys. Although he can occasionally read above this level, he is more likely to choose something that is an easy read. If it is too hard, he won't push himself. He's chomping at the bit to read the Starwars series but I know that this will be like our failed attempt at the Bionicle series: cool stuff with lots of gore but the level will be too high so he'll give up.

Help?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Has he read any of the Magic School Bus chapter series? Or other Kate DiCamillo books like Tales of Despereaux?

Comment

I don't know how you feel about the gross humor stuff - but the Cressida Cowell "How to Train Your Dragon" series is appealing for boys. It's relatively easy and has lots of comic mischief and gross out humor. My son loved it and he's still reading the fourth book in fifth grade (even though the reading level is well below that). My 2nd grade daughter plowed through the 200 page first book in a few days.

Other options.....Wayside School books by Louis Sachar. Short stories, very funny. It holds their interest.

Good luck!
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Here is a list of "guy" books:
        http://guysread.com/

I noticed the Lemony Snicket books on there. Has he read those? I heard the author interviewed a while back and loved him. I think the books would be a little too scary for Bryn (but she is easily affected by this genre).

I think Bryn will pick up the Little House on the Prairie series again. We read those to her last summer but she will be able to read them on her own this summer. I know they sound girly but there is a lot of pioneer-ish stuff in there -- building cabins, plowing fields, etc -- that might be appealing to a boy reader?

Here is a list of Newbery Award winners:
        http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsschol ... inners.htm

Angie -- a friend of mine loved Louis Sachar's Holes. I haven't yet read it.

Bryn really liked My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett. There are two other books that follow. I think a boy would find them appealing as well? :huh:

Comment

Thanks,

I've written these down and I'm off to B and N. (One of my best/worst habits).

Kelly

Comment

I second the Lemony Snicket books.

There are thirteen in all - enough to take the entire summer to finish (or at least half of it depending on how fast he reads them)!
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

So Kelly -- what did you get???

Tell tell!

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

You mean there's something other than "Thomas Breaks a Promise", "Thomas' ABCs", "That's Not My Train", The Little Engine that Could" or "The Big Book of Real Trains"?

Really? How soon can we get there? (and how many of you know that a covered hopper has eight openings in the roof?)

Jenn

Comment

OMG, Do you have Thomas' alphabet book? To this day, I can recite it:

A is for All Aboard. All Aboard the conductor says
                  B is for Bertie the Bus. Bertie is Thomas' friend
                  C is for coaches. Annie and Clarable are Thomas' coaches.
                  D is for Diesel. Doesn't Diesel look grumpy today
                  E is for Edward. Edward is a kind little engine...
                  F is for Freight Cars.
                  G is for Gordon. Gordon the big engine pulls the freight cars.
                  H is for Harold. Harold the Helicopter flies high above.

I seriously just typed this from memory. DS got seriously Thomas OCD for about two years. Then one day it was over as soon as it begun.

I predict that Nikolai will be into Rescue Heroes next. They're even worse than Thomas.

Kelly

Comment

I saw this in a check-out line. I didn't get to look at much but it sounds interesting:
                    Book Crush: For Kids and Teens - Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest by Nancy Pearl

Book Description from Amazon:
                    Parents, teachers, and librarians are often puzzled by the seemingly endless choices for reading material for young people. What’s good, what’s trash, what’s going to hold their interest? Nancy Pearl, America’s favorite librarian, has read widely in all the genres and happily points the way in Book Crush. Divided into three sections — Easy Books, Middle-Grade Readers, and Young Adult — Book Crush makes wonderful reading connections by theme, setting, voice, and ideas. For horse lovers, Pearl recalls the classics (Black Beauty, Misty of Chincoteague), but in a creative twist connects Mr. Revere and I to the list. For middle-grade readers, she explores updated retellings of Greek myths and the best coming-of-age stories. Young adult readers get to know chick lit and much more. For those adults who feel stuck in a rut with Caldecott and Newberry winners and the ubiquitous Harry Potters, this fun, informed book offers new ways to stimulate young readers.

Comment

Nellie,

Great recommendation! I also recommend Chinaberry.com. I have never been disappointed with any of their offerings.

I think we'll go with Angie's recommendation on How to train your dragon. This sounds right up his alley. I'm also on the look out for anything dealing with UFOS, Bigfoot, and other popular folklore. He rips through this ...er....crap when we go to the library.

I think that our joint read will be Flynn's recommendation of Eragon until HP 7 comes out. I like having something that he and I can share together whenever we can carve out a few minutes.

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by house elf

I think that our joint read will be Flynn's recommendation of Eragon until HP 7 comes out. I like having something that he and I can share together whenever we can carve out a few minutes.

Kelly
                        Oh I'm glad you had some time to check it out! I have no idea what a 7 year old who likes to read would like. I really enjoyed it but I'm a career sci/fic geek. I'm hopeless.

I'm remembering back to being in second grade and I thought "Johnny Tremain" was very good. I was really into that time period in our history though. It's kind of a "Patriot" (the movie) for young kids without all the violence. The young Americans are good and shouldn't have to pay taxes, the British are greedy out of touch aristocrats who shouldn't be able to control the new country.....yadda yadda yadda. The main character helps out the local silver smithy (sp?) and becomes interested in the rebellion (Sons of Liberty) when he hurts his hand pouring hot metal. (It's been a while but that's what I remember. )

Kudos to you Kelly for paying so much attention to early literacy!!! It's HUGE in a child's life -- and education in general. If you do nothing else for your kids learning abilities...read to them, read with them, read in front of them. Again, bravo.
                        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

He just devored "Escaping the Giant Wave" and devoured it. I seriously *love* when I have to yell at my kid a couple times to put the book down and go to bed. I haven't read it but it is about a gradeschool boy surviving a tsunami while on vacation. This isn't a recommendation from me, but my seven year old hails it as "awesome" for those of you looking for some summer reads.

Kelly

Comment

Thanks for the "How to Train Your Dragon" by Cowell. It is an enormous hit!

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                            X