Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J Maarten Troost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J Maarten Troost

Who recommended this? Vishenka, I think? I didn't see a thread for it.

I just read this and thought it was really funny. It is a travelogue of sorts by a guy who moves to an equitorial pacific island with his girlfriend, Sylvia. She is working for an aid agency. It sounds like paradise but in many ways is not. They are able to look past and laugh at most of the unfamiliar situations they encounter. I enjoyed this -- at the expense of starting my book group book in time.

Reminds me to keep my paradise day-dreaming to places like Hawaii.

Nellie,

That's wild. My SIL spent her time in the Peace Corps in Kiribati and gave me that book as a gift a couple of years ago. Hilarious read. She said it kept it extremely real. Definitely not a paradise and she certainly conveyed that not only with the book gift but her (SIL) stories. Though Troost was there maybe 8 or 9 years before her time there not much had changed.

My ILS visited my SIL when she was there. They said it was a tough trip and they're extremely hardy and stoic.

Comment

I got tears in my eyes laughing about his description of biking through the packs of dogs with a fish. He is much hardier than I; I wouldn't have lasted the whole 2 years.

Comment

Crazy. Not like the dogs around here for sure. SIL and ILS tell of the mangy, thin dogs on the roam. FIL said he saw a toddler tumble in the village -- immediately all males rushed to kick away the dogs. Apparently, a toddler on the ground could be mistaken for a meal for canines (depending on the level of domesticity of the dogs).

SIL had part of her time there with no electricity at all. Actually, I believe the Peace Corps just discontinued their presence there. Several problems -- always a high drop out rate (about 60%) -- much higher than average; poor administration; inability due to condition of aircraft on island to keep the uniform standards for time / safety of lifting out volunteers for medical help if necessary, etc. etc.

Night & day experience from other placements in the pacific - we've had friends elsewhere and their experiences was much more modern and comfortable though obviously still difficult.

Comment

Apparently, a toddler on the ground could be mistaken for a meal for canines (depending on the level of domesticity of the dogs).
          Not surprising given his descriptions. I finished the book about a day before the dog thread in the debate section and was reading it in the same time as our dog encounters. Amazing what one can train into and out of a dog.

Comment

Sorry cross posted above.

Comment

Nellie, I loved both of his books. Make sure to get his next one "Getting Stoned With The Savages". After returning to DC for a couple of years and getting bored, they went back to the South Pacific, this time Figi.

Comment

This is the other book I bought before NYC. I started it on the 2nd leg of my trip home and am continuing at night before bed. So far I'm enjoying it - I like his style of writing (and chapter titles!). They've only just arrived on Kiribati ... and he's avoiding the "large brown bottom" that he saw as he was getting out of the water.

Comment

Re: The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J Maarten Troost

I am almost done with this, and just put his next book on hold. This is a hilarious book, I highly recommend it. Thanks for the suggestion.
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Jenn passed this on to me. I thought it was a good book. I was cracking up. I like his writing style.

Comment

I just started this book today and my kids keep asking me what I'm laughing about. This guy is hysterical! Great selection for a medspouse in need of a pick me up. His writing style is fluid and this book is easy to read in small chunks for those who don't have tons of time.

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I loved this book! I loved how they grew to have such an affection for a place that I ... would not last long in. I also got his second book from the library, am going to start that today. Thanks for the rec!!
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I can't wait to pass this book on to my mom. It is pee your pants funny. The author's voice nails irony and honesty wrapped in a droll sense of humor. If you need a pick me up or an easy read, this is it. Does anyone have this author's other work that I can borrow? I'll pay for shipping.

Kelly
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I just finished Lost on Planet China. It's just as funny and interesting as his other books, definitely a good read. (Although it doesn't actually make me want to visit China anytime soon!)
                            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
                              I just finished Lost on Planet China. It's just as funny and interesting as his other books, definitely a good read. (Although it doesn't actually make me want to visit China anytime soon!)
                              I bought this to read while I was in the hospital (temporary amnesia??). I haven't gotten very far, but am glad to hear that you liked it just as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X