Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

A wonderful, wonderful book. It's a true story of the year the author took to live abroad (in Italy, India & Indonesia) to mend her psyche & her heart. She has a wonderful style of writing - it's as though you're having conversation with her. She's quite funny, even at the saddest of moments, and has a talent for meeting and connecting with wonderful characters.

Highly reccomended.

Loved this book - I was so taken with the beginning that some of the more spiritual parts (that I don't so much relate to - so much so that my sister said it was an odd choice of book for me) flew by. Her humor and style keep this from becoming too self-indulgent.

Makes you want to eat your way through Italy as a way to find yourself

Comment

Re: Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

I searched for this but didnt find it. Sorry to double post.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I think search is acting funky these days. I hope you like the book more as you head towards Indonesia.

Comment

It was a bit too spiritual for me. I liked the Italy portion the most and then skipped over pages once she got to India and Indonesia. I think you have to be into the higher spirit to really appreciate the book. Or may be I'm just too much of a skeptic.

Comment

I'll agree with that for India, but not Indonesia.

Comment

Italy was definitely the best part - who doesn't want to spend 4 months learning Italian, eating great food, drinking wine and meeting people?

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                I'll agree with that for India, but not Indonesia.
                You're right. The Bali part was funny.

Comment

Overall, I'd say I liked this book. I'd agree that parts of India d-r-a-g-g-e-d (maybe I'm just not that introspective of a person?), but I LOVED Italy and Indonesia.

And if you haven't read the book yet, Spoiler Alert!!
                  I saw her on Oprah a little while ago and she ended up marrying that Felipe guy.
                  ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                  -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Per your collective suggestion, I picked this one up. This was a quick easy read that made me think about the pace of my life and what I really want it to look like. I liked that I could easily pick this book up and put it down...a necessity in my crazy life. Two thumbs way up!

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I purchased the book after seeing the author on Oprah. I thought that it would be perfect for my sister is law who is in the midst of divorce and adjusting to being single after 10+ years of marriage. I wanted to read it myself before I sent it to her. I enjoyed it. Some of her experiences in India I didn't really relate to, but I enjoyed her journey

Comment

I just read this book. I LOVE Gilbert's style. I picture her IRL as a funny, exceptinally smart and slightly manic woman!

Italy was my favorite part by far. India was WAY too spiritual, and I'll stop there before I sound too critical. Bali was fine.

Like I said, I loved the style of the book. The content just didn't do it for me though. I'm not sure why exactly but the whole "finding myself in my 30s by going abroad" bugs me. But that's me.

I'd give it an average rating.
                        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I've read the Italy part so far - I liked it even though I can't exactly relate personally.

I had it out from the library for three weeks and this was all I could get through before someone else put a hold on it and I couldn't renew it!!!

I was so busy with getting the house ready to sell and worrying about match day that I only read it when I had a couple of spare minutes here and there - in the car waiting for kids at school or waiting in doctor's office.

oh well, I think I'll put a hold on it now and get it back in a couple of weeks to finish!

Comment

I thought the book was OK, but don't think it lives up to all the hype...

I was a little put-off by the "woe-is-me, life is hard, so I must travel for a year" attitude. I mean, so off and travel, do something great for yourself, but don't write about it as if it is some massive sacrifice...

When you read the book, they have something about her next book in the back...which I think made me like it less... :huh:
                            Jen
                            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

What was the part about her next book? About the mountain man guy?

I just finished this and liked it, found it very readable. I got the sense that we as the readers didn't get the whole story on some things (which is fine, I wouldn't want to air my life out in a book) -- sometimes I wondered, "yes, this is bad but your life really isn't *that* bad." :huh: Oh well, to each their own. I liked the progression of the story and also found the India part a little slower but am glad I read it. My bookgroup is discussing it next week and I'm interested to see what they have to say.

The book didn't have a profound effect on me but did make me stop and think about some smaller things, ask some questions, that sort of thing. I'm reminded of how much I liked taking yoga classes and am making that a priority to start again.

Comment

Working...
                              X