Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

"Rhett Butlers People"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rhett Butlers People"

Rhett Butlers People
    by Authors: Donald McCaig
    Released: 06 November, 2007

Did you like Gone With the Wind?

This is an inside look at why Rhett is the way he is. It begins with his childhood and sets the scene for future enemies. McCaig is a Civil War expert who also writes fiction. Mitchell's estate okayed the book.

I enjoyed it but it wasn't spectacular by any stretch.
    I missed the characters so it was fun to read a different take on the story I have an affection for...
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Re: "Rhett Butlers People"

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but:
    I missed the characters so it was fun to read a different take on the story I have an affection for...
    Really?

Gone with the Wind is one of the original odes to chick lit and yet I can't stand it. Scarlet drove me crazy. Sure, the movie has sweeping scenes, drama, and pays homage to a time gone by, but I can't get past what a snit Scarlet is. I'm sorry for not jumping on the bandwagon. Do you love me any way?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by house elf
      Really?

Gone with the Wind is one of the original odes to chick lit and yet I can't stand it. Scarlet drove me crazy. Sure, the movie has sweeping scenes, drama, and pays homage to a time gone by, but I can't get past what a snit Scarlet is. I'm sorry for not jumping on the bandwagon. Do you love me any way?

Kelly
      Of course I love you!

Scarlet was WAAAAAY ahead of her time AND a survivor. She was taught to be pretty "arm candy" from birth YET she has a strong business mind and isn't afraid of breaking social rules to be financially comfortable. When the war wiped out everything, it was Scarlett who picked up a hoe and started planting. The girl had Moxy.

Her personal life was a disaster -- but really, she had NO realtionship tools. This was the era of women "not eating in public" and naps at parties for women. Good lord.

Add to it she is the daughter of an Irish immigrant AND a Catholic (TWO social black marks) and I think she did okay.

Does she drive me nuts sometimes? Yep. But lets face it, the constitution gave black men the right to vote roughly 50 years before women (granted Jim Crow got in the way of that for about 100 years.....).

Women had limited choices. VERY limited.

Want to save your family farm -- marry someone who can pay the taxes OR let it go to the government. I thought it was heroic to marry Frank. Her sister was a ninny anyway.

The tragedy of Scarlett is that she has limited trust in people.
      It bites her in the butt on more than one occasion.

Finally, Clark Gable made a fantastic Rhett and Vivian Leigh is STUNNING!

I have an affection for anyone whose greatest strength is their greatest weakness.
      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I have an affection for anyone whose greatest strength is their greatest weakness.
        Me too. That is why we're married to surgeons, my friend.

Sorry, you set that up way too easy.

Anyway, I just couldn't get past how manipulative she is. I hold my heroines to higher standars than my heroes. A female texture should have texture because that is real life. However, I have to like her to finish the read.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
        X