Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan

Totally fascinating. Max and I both read it. I think he took it more to heart than I did - he's been jabbering about foraging for mushrooms ever since. But I thought it was quite good. Someone also recommended "In Defense of Food" to me when I said I enjoyed Omnivore's Dilemma. Has anyone read that?
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Re: The Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan

I've got this one on my list (of about 100 books ). I did read "In Defense of Food" and loved it. A lot of interesting stuff, and eye-opening too. A worthwhile read.

I'll have to move it up to the top - I'm intrigued by the talk of mushroom foraging and baby salad greens.

Comment

I just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle which is in the same vein I think. I will go for this one next.

I thought AVM was very preachy and condescending, like hey you people in a housing project- even you should be buying organic potatoes since food stamps work at most farmers markets.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Her book did get mostly excellent reviews on amazon.com, but I am one of the 30 or so people who gave it a one star review.
        Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I've read both the Pollan books and enjoyed omnivore's dilemma a little more. Both were a bit redundant at times, maybe because I read omnivore's dilemma before in defense of food. Both were very eye opening and I feel will help promote change in how consumer's view the food chain, errrr corn chain, and for those who care to make change.

Anyway, I have been trying to shop more local and go to farmers markets or PYO for fruits and veggies and we have a small garden which is producing more than I anticipated. I'd like to spend more time looking into local meat's too.

eatwild.com was a recommended resource in one of the books and has been a helpful website for us.
          Wife to PGY5 ortho resident
          ~~~~~
          SAHM to 3

Comment

I just ordered this for my train ride to Dallas.

Jenn

Comment

Thanks for bringing this book to my attention - I'm going to copy the first chapter for my Ecology class (though the whole corn sex part gets a little raunchy - but not as bad as the cannabis description in the pig hunting chapter - easy way to get fired)
              Enabler of DW and 5 kids
              Let's go Mets!

Comment

I finally started this and I have to tell you, it's done nothing except make me MAD. and to confirm my nearly vegetarian stance that was part of my new years resolutions. and to continue to buy local and grow a garden again.

ARGH.

It's maddening to read about the cascading unintended consequences (and the intended ones, too) about our f-ed up farm policies.

Jenn

Comment

Wait though until he gets to the part on vegetarianism (if you haven't gotten there already). He has a balanced view on that which I appreciated. People treat vegetarians like Mother Teresa or complete nutjobs so it was nice to get an opinion that discussed pros and cons.
                  Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                  X