Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

May's Book Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May's Book Choices

OK- I've come up with four options related to "Wall Street" that are currently on the various best-sellers lists:

The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell

BOOK EXCERPT
    "When we say that a handful of East Village kids started the Hush Puppies epidemic, or that the scattering of the residents of a few housing projects was sufficient to start Baltimore's syphilis epidemic, what we are really saying is that in a given process or system some people matter more than others. This is not, on the face of it, a particularly radical notion. Economists often talk about the 80/20 Principle, which is the idea that in any situation roughly 80 percent of the 'work' will be done by 20 percent of the participants. In most societies, 20 percent of criminals commit 80 percent of crimes. Twenty percent of motorists cause 80 percent of all accidents. Twenty percent of beer drinkers drink 80 percent of all beer. When it comes to epidemics, though, this disproportionality becomes even more extreme: a tiny percentage of people do the majority of the work."
    -- from the first chapter of 'The Tipping Point'

HOUSE OF CARDS A Tale of Hubris and Wretched Excess on Wall Street
    By William D. Cohan

As William D. Cohan makes clear in his engrossing new book, “House of Cards,” Bear Stearns is also a kind of microcosm of what went wrong on Wall Street — from bad business decisions to a lack of oversight to greedy, arrogant C.E.O.’s — and a parable about how the second Gilded Age came slamming to a fast and furious end.
    Mr. Cohan, a former investment banker and the author of “The Last Tycoons,” a 2007 book about Lazard Frères & Company, gives us in these pages a chilling, almost minute-by-minute account of the 10, vertigo-inducing days that one year ago revealed Bear Stearns to be a flimsy house of cards in a perfect storm.

The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson
    And in his latest book, “The Ascent of Money” — humbly subtitled “A Financial History of the World” — Ferguson takes us on an often enlightening and enjoyable spelunking tour through the underside of great events, a lesson in how the most successful great powers have always been underpinned by smart money. “The ascent of money has been essential to the ascent of man,” he writes, making a conscious reference to the BBC production he loved as a boy, Jacob Bronowski’s “Ascent of Man.” (In fact, like Ferguson’s three previous books, “Colossus,” “Empire” and “The War of the World,” “The Ascent of Money” was written as a companion to a TV documentary series.)
    “Behind each great historical phenomenon there lies a financial secret,” Ferguson says. He goes into fascinating detail about how “it was Nathan Roth¬schild as much as the Duke of Wellington who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo” by selling bonds and stockpiling gold for the British Army. The richest bankers on the Continent in the 19th century, the Rothschilds became known as die Finanzbonaparten (the Bonapartes of finance). And, as Ferguson argues, they also played a crucial part in the South’s defeat in the Civil War by declining to invest in Confederate cotton-¬collateralized bonds.

The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008 by Paul Krugman

Publishers Weekly
    As an economist in good standing, writes MIT economist Krugman, I am quite capable of writing things that nobody can read. Fortunately, Krugman, author of Slates Dismal Science column, is also quite capable of writing things that almost anyone can read. An accomplished translator of economics into English, Krugman (Peddling Prosperity; The Accidental Theorist; etc.) takes a look at the international financial turmoil of the past two years and concludes that, confident assertions of happy globalizers and bullish day traders notwithstanding, a great depression could happen again. Depression economics is back, he argues, meaning that for the first time in two generations, failures on the demand side of the economy... have become the clear and present limitation on prosperity for a large part of the world. Whether discussing the currency collapse in Indonesia, the travails of Brazil and Russia (and how they’re related) or the failure of hedge funds such as Long Term Capital Management, Krugman writes with invigorating lucidity and forceful opinion. Now as in the 1930s, however, one cannot defend globalization merely by repeating free-market mantras, even as economy after economy crashes. If his message is dire, his tone is light, almost jaunty as he calls supply-side economics a crank doctrine and ably articulates a Keynsian willingness to regulate markets in order to stabilize economies and minimize human suffering. Moving from concrete examples (e.g., the struggles of a Japanese baby-sitting coop) to stinging critiques of head-in-the-sand theorists, Krugman proves himself not only comprehensible but also well worth comprehending.
    The Tipping Point
    27.27%
    House of Cards
    18.18%
    The Ascent of Money
    27.27%
    The Return of Depression Economics
    27.27%

The poll is expired.

I voted for 'The Ascent of Money'. I've already read "The Tipping Point" so I can join in that discussion as well.

They all sound very topical, great job Jenn!
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

The Ascent of Money has gotten a lot of press. I have heard the author several times. He sounds funny....and then pompous....then funny. I'm a little scared to buy the book and have the pompous be predominant.

I voted for House of Cards because I'm looking for a plot. No clear reason otherwise. I've read Tipping Point. It's good as well.

The Depression Era Economics would also be right at home on my nightstand. I've read so many like that in the last year I'm not sure I can do another, though.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

The bio sounded much the same about Mr. Ferguson. I voted for it anyway just because I'd like to read something funny about money these days.

Jenn

Comment

I voted for The Tipping Point because it is the only one that sounds interesting to me. Of course, it is doubtful Ill read any of them this month so feel free to ignore my vote!!!!!
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Ok- we need a decision

It seems that a lot of people have read the Tipping Point and House of Cards had fewer votes so-

Between Krugman and Ferguson.

Name your dude.

I'm going with Ferguson even though he kind of sounds like an ass. (so does David Sedaris a lot of the time and I still think he's funny)

Jenn

Comment

I vote Ferguson. The one about 2008 is too depressing for me - I'll take the 10,000 foot view of our current crisis thank you! But I'll read Krugman if that wins too.
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
              X