Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Bitch in the House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bitch in the House

The Bitch in the House: 26 Women Tell the Truth About Sex, Solitude, Work, Motherhood, and Marriage. Compiled by Cathi Hanauer

This provocative title grabbed my attention and compelled me to give it a try. I half-heartedly believed that it was a personal guidebook about my life. My husband just rolled his eyes when I brought home this title. I think that when they hold my civil commitment proceeding, this book will be introduced as Exhibit A.

So far I have only read three women's stories. The book exposes the secret thoughts of adult women in our time. To be fair, some of these women are over the top and hard to understand. Other women, however, relate a story so touching and real you feel like you could have written the essay yourself.

When I get further into this book, I'll give you a more complete review.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I finished this book this weekend. My best advice would be not to let the title scare any would be readers off. Seriously, this book isn't a feminist rant that advocates wide sweeping social change but twenty six women telling their life stories asking meaningful questions on a personal level, like: "How did we go from breathless lovers to complacent spouses?", "How can I love my child so much and need a break from her so desperately?", "Should I have a child?", "How do I create a sense of self irregardless of my partner?" and "How does one manage a career and children?". Certainly, some of the women are over the top and have life stories that seem foreign to many readers. However, out of these twenty six women a reader will find some poignant insight into her own life.

Really good read.

Kelly

Comment

I'm going to look for it.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We read this for our book club and I have to say I really liked it! I could identify with many of the women (except for the ones who had open marriages, etc.) and was impressed with their ability to convey their feelings so eloquently. I also expected an over the top feminist rant, but I didn't get that feeling at all. I'm recommending this to all my women friends.
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Sue--

Don't forget to get the companion reader: "The Bastard on the Couch" which is a compilation of male authors wading through the same issues from their perspective. Besides being a provocative read, it is laugh out loud funny.

Kelly

Comment

I fully intend on reading that one--my neighbor is reading it right now so I'm going to try and borrow hers.
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
            X