Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Used Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Books

What do you do with books after you’ve read them? It feels like I have books stashed everywhere in the house. I can’t bear the thought of throwing them away - but I don’t have the space to keep them all. TIA!

A couple of things. We have a library here that you drop off a book, pick up a book. Its a free switch. Also I take my books to half price bookstore and sell them. I get peanuts for them, but its something.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

We usually take them to goodwill if we're feeling too lazy to spend the time taking them to a used bookstore to get store credit.

Mostly, though, any books we want to read we first check at the library to see if they have them there. Helps that there's one within walking distance that's tied into a whole library system that has online hold and renewal and email notices.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Is there a used book store around you? We have one that gives you store credit for books that you drop off. So you can read new books without forking out more money.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Good idea, I'll check for a used book store. I need to go to the library ... the Barnes and Noble near my office has become a hard habit to break.

Comment

I resell those books that I don't loan out and / or want to keep. Before we moved, I sold so many at Half Price Books that I got $80. Anyone who has sold books at HPB can tell you that means there were a LOT of books. I wish we had a store like Cheri mentioned -- I'd be all over that.

Comment

I've usually donated them to local libraries (get a rcpt for taxes), but I was thinking about selling some of them to Tattered Cover. I haven't made it in yet, but I know they have a few locations and do accept used books for store credit. From what I've heard, it is a great Denver bookstore, I'll let you know how it goes if I get there anytime soon.

http://www.tatteredcover.com/used-books-tattered-cover
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

If a book I want is available at the library, then I refuse to buy it. I'm cheap like that. Otherwise when I do buy it, I'm likely to loan it out when I'm finished or donate it. I'm excited this year because the kids school just started a program where you can take in books your kids are no longer reading or board with and they'll give you a ticket. Then during parent/teacher conferences, you can trade in the ticket for books other kids have brought in. I love that idea, especially since it's free.
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I'm one of those complete nerds that has to have every book she reads! However, there are a few books that I don't care to have or I end up with duplicate copies of. With my extra copies, I usually donate them to the library or ask friends if they would like them. However, there are great sites out there where you can swap books with others!! I've heard you can do it through Goodreads (I have a friend who does this) and I'm thinking The Book Depository is another one (another online swap place). I'm thinking that there are others too, but I can't remember them at the moment. I can ask around if you like! I'm a book blogger and have lots of resources in this area!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tif View Post
                    However, there are great sites out there where you can swap books with others!! I've heard you can do it through Goodreads (I have a friend who does this) and I'm thinking The Book Depository is another one (another online swap place).
                    It's not really a "swap" place as such, but a fun online way to give away books is bookcrossing.com. You put a note on the book saying "I'm free, pick me up! Read me and pass me on" and "bookcrossing.com" and the ID number (which you get by registering the book on the site), then leave it in a public place, and anyone who picks it up can go to bookcrossing.com, enter the ID number, and put where and when they found it, how they liked it, etc., and you can keep track of the ones you set free and see where they go.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

DPL! http://denverlibrary.org/about/support/donate.html

(I am now a city employee and therefore obligated to be a booster of all things city. )

I should add that we donate very few books in my house, because my husband wants to keep every last one of them forever and ever. I, meanwhile, am a library girl.
                      Last edited by oceanchild; 03-09-2010, 04:46 PM.
                      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I use paperbackswap.com. I love reading, but this way I get free books and return them for credit (for more books) when I'm done. Win-win for me!
                        Attorney, mom, married to a vascular surgery fellow!

Comment

I sell them on half.com. I have sold a lot of books over the years and I'm always amazed as to what goes first. If I finish a paperback while traveling I leave them in the airplane or in the hotel lobby. Someone will take it. Some hotels have book exchanges, too. For the super common books (like David Baldacci books) I donate them to the library bookstore or the Salvation Army. I take my old magazines to the gym or to the lobby at work. (depends on the magazine- not going to take "this old house" to the methadone clinic...)

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                            It's not really a "swap" place as such, but a fun online way to give away books is bookcrossing.com.

I've never heard of this place! Thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

I have sold some on amazon.com. It worked really well - look at the used book price box on the listing of your book - you can see what other people have it listed for, and price yours accordingly. They give you a shipping allowance, that is paid by the buyer. It worked really well for me with textbooks and nonfiction - fiction and paperbacks, not so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X