Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Uplifting book suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uplifting book suggestions

I want to send my FIL an uplifting book for his long stay in the hospital and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? They say laughter is the best medicine and wanted to find something to lighten the mood.

THANKS!

Robin

How about "Dave Berry's Guide to Life". I don't know how uplifting it is per se, but it is hilarious. I'm reading it for a second time and it has me laughing out loud a lot of the time!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

That is a great idea, Sue! His books are really funny, I think. They are nice too because they are short essays -- probably a good idea with all the interruptions in a hospital.
      Robin, my father-in-law was in the hospital quite a bit for chemo and cancer-related surgeries. I will ask my husband tonight if he remembers what sort of things brought comfort to his dad. I think that the chemo and various things going on made his eyes hurt (or he was tired?) and so reading was difficult. I think he liked us to rent movies for him (hard for you to do from TX!). But treatments vary so much by cancer as do side effects....

Comment

Depending on your father-in-law's sense of humor, the Calvin and Hobbes books are always a guilty pleasure. They may not be his cup o' tea, but who knows?
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Ok, my husband and I are having a hard time remembering what kept his dad busy in the hospital. Too many other things going on, I guess.
          He remembered the movies as well. He also suggested the new (or relatively new) book by Lance Armstrong, "It's Not About the Bike".
          We think his dad read best-seller paperbacks -- he likes suspense and intrigue type books. He liked the ones he could breeze through and didn't require too much thinking.

Comment

When I was a teenager a camp counselour introduced me to Og Mandino...He is definitely an upper and made me reflect about all the blessings I had in my life.

Good luck.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Robin-

If he does get tired easily or his eyes hurt, think about getting him a cd player and some books on cd/tape. That way he can maybe also tune out all of the sounds of the hospital as well.

Jenn

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. They are great. I guess he has a whole stack of books waiting for him so .... we may wait a little while on the book idea. I am having my kids write long letters instead! I love the idea of CDs on tape. I will definitely look into that. Thanks again.

Robin

Comment

Working...
                X