Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

I'm about halfway through this book..It is a really interesting and almost devastating honest look at the growth of the fast food nation, obesity, health problems and bad farming practices that have grown out of it. I haven't been able to put it down!

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

This is a great book, though one tends to get so outraged reading it that it's difficult to read too much at one sitting.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Comment

Definitely a great book but I completely agree that I got so upset at times that I had to put it down.

It should be required reading in every high school in America.

Jenn

Comment

I got about halfway through this book and also had to put it down when they started talking about the slaughterhouses. I enjoyed the first part because of the business aspect of it, but once they got into the horrible treatment of animals, I stopped because I know I'll never be a vegetarian, so why bother ruining dinner?

You have to read this book with a grain of salt--it can be very biased at times.

Comment

I thought it was fantastic. It was the first I'd ever heard about the vending machines and Channel 1 in schools, and I've done tons of investigation since. I've got his second book "Reefer Madness" on my To-Read stack. Sure it's biased--isn't everything? But it's one of those that makes you realize that if even 10% of it is true, we're all in big effing trouble...

Comment

I think this book is amazing. Many of you are right, you can't read much because you become so outraged. This is the only book I have ever read that would actually keep me awake at night.
            I don't think it's biased in the least. The book spent months being reviewed by attorneys and all those mentioned in the book never publicly disputed anything in the book. Several books written by nutrition PhD's have also claimed the same things about the quality of meat in this country.
            I think back to the crap I ate in the high school cafeteria and worry about the worsening status of the food in schools. I just watched Super Size Me which covered this topic as well.
            I think everyone should read this book, especially parents. Although disturbing and many think "this just isn't possible", it provokes thought, questions and hopefully future change.
            A+++ in my book!

Comment

Working...
            X