Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

nietzche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nietzche

I finally finished Anna Karenina! It was an amazing book (with a weird ending) but amazing nonetheless.

Another "must read" that I never read in my formal education was the writings of Fredrich Nietzche. I know, I know, this is really heavy, but everyone says that this is a "must read". I'll never forget an lunch during an internship when two attorneys were astounded that I "had never read Nietzche". <gasp> Yes, I realize this smacks of intellectual elitism, but still, I have heard so many things about his philosophy that I'm going to try to read at least one of his writings. So far, however, a magazine keeps slipping into my hand when I'm supposed to be reading this.

My question to you all: any thoughts on his work before I delve in? Inspire me.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

thoughts

Nietsche: god is dead

See...now you don't have to read it

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Comment

I have never read much of Nietsche beyond a description of his basic beliefs/philosophies and how they contributed to nihilism, existentialism, and atheism. It was a subject that I had to at least briefly cover in varsity debate years ago in high school and I remember finding his views to be highly depressing and unappealing to me. The end result was I felt I had absolutely nothing to gain in life by reading Nietsche - unless I wanted to impress some intellectual snobs. :P
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Re: nietzche

Originally posted by kmbsjbcgb
          I finally finished Anna Karenina! It was an amazing book (with a weird ending) but amazing nonetheless.
          Yay! 8)

Sorry, I've got nothing to add about Nietsche as I've never read him . . . but I would be interested in knowing if he's got anything intriguing or particularly insightful to say about atheism. (I.e., was this just groundbreaking when it was written, or is it still worth the effort for the modern reader?)
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Who's kidding who? The weather is beautiful and this one remains unread. Maybe I'll start Vaclav Havel's compilation of letters if I can muster any ambition during these lazy days of summer. If I were a betting woman, however, I'm thinking romance and spy novels will be my junk food for the mind over the next few months. Maybe I'll pick up Nietzche in the fall.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

books

I say stick with "Bridget Jones" and just enjoy life I remember feeling like I 'had' to read things like "Origin of the Species" during grad school Let me just add that I bought the book, started it at least 12 times and it has yet to be finished. I figure that it is a book of some historical significance that is just not going to be read by me unless I'm having trouble falling asleep at night. Does that make me a bad scientist...who cares????

kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
              X