Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Help by Kathyrn Stockett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Help by Kathyrn Stockett

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. What perfect timing for this optimistic, uplifting debut novel (and maiden publication of Amy Einhorn's new imprint) set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Miss., where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia Skeeter Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing about what disturbs you. The budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women on whom the country club sets relies and mistrusts enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams. Assured and layered, full of heart and history, this one has bestseller written all over it.
    This is quite honestly one of the best novels I have ever read. Actually, I listened to it (downloaded from Overdrive) and really liked the different narrators for each section of the book. When actually reading it, I thought it was harder to keep track of who was telling that section of the story.
    Kris

Oh - the pie. Will never forget the pie.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
      Oh - the pie. Will never forget the pie.
      bwahahahaha! She deserved it and more.
      Kris

Comment

It was a good - and quick - read. I finished it in two days. I was surprised that it was a plot driven as it was. I thought it would be more of a sprawling 'slice of life' kind of novel giving a window in to life during the early 60s. It wasn't. There was a cohesive tale placed within that setting. The characters were all very memorable and unique. Honestly, my favorite was the floozy rich lady. She tried so hard and didn't seem to deserve the awful reputation and reception she got from the "society ladies". Funny how she ended up being one of the people with strong moral character. I'd recommend the book as well.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I too listened to it from Overdrive and loved the different characters being read by different voices. My sister who read it, enjoyed it too, but she also said she had trouble keeping track of who was narrating. It was such a beautifully written story.
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I have been trying & trying to get though this, and It just makes me soooo angry. Perhaps the audio version is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
              I have been trying & trying to get though this, and It just makes me soooo angry. Perhaps the audio version is the way to go.
              Does your library subscribe to Overdrive (or something similar)? I really like the audio version, but there is quite a wait for it.
              Kris

Comment

I've got an account on audible.com - so I could get it w/o a problem.

Comment

I would - it is one that I would like to listen to again. I really liked the change in narrators. The personalities of the individual characters really shone that way. Normally it drives me nuts, but in this case it was absolutely the right thing to do. Buy it, you won't regret it.
                  Kris

Comment

Working...
                  X