Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

As an adult ... I loved this book. I just finished it yesterday and my son is mad at me because I went ahead of him. We have been reading it out loud together but he went to a friend's house yesterday and I couldn't stand not finding out the end! So now I am rereading the last few chapters with Jacob.

I am curious to hear what the rest of you think about it. I think it really jumped in reading difficulty as far as vocabulary and the plot is much more complex. My younger kids lost interest. They only listen in on occasion now. We had to stop a few times even with Jacob to help him understand what things meant.

I was disappointed with the language in it. There was quite a bit more swearing in the beginning of the book and I don't think that was necessary. There are a lot of young kids who read these books. I censor as I read outloud to the kids.

Overall, I completely recommend the book for adults. I think young kids will have a hard time with it. It isn't as action packed as the earlier ones until the end and Harry Potter is growing up (15 ) and dealing with feelings, girls etc. that are over my younger kids' heads. It is much more grown up.

Robin

We have just completed Harry Potter # 3 in this house and we can all be officially considered "Harry Potter-heads". Seriously, everynight we read this out loud and we can't wait for more. I started reading chapter books to DS because all of the sudden, I find that I am having to work to create the intimacy with him which at one time came so freely.
    Of course, at 5 we often have to review plot lines and vocabulary, but that is o.k.

Great reads. The adults enjoy it as much (or more) than the kids. Seriously, last night DH and I were like "...and I bet in the next book Pettigrew and Voldemort return and somehow Lucius Malfoy and /or Snape declare their loyalty...." We are totally into it.

Any other suggestions for great chapter books for kiddos? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory went over well, but DS declared "BOR-ing!" when I started 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The compulsive parent in me wants to read the classics, but the realist in me just wants my son to learn to love reading and to share a little special one-on-one time with me. I'm thinking of Beverly Cleary when we finish Ms. Rowling's series. Any suggestions?

BTW, I *adore* the characters Fred and George Weasley. They totally crack me up.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I haven't gotten into the Harry Potter craze, but I really liked/still like the "Wrinkle in Time" series by Madeleine L'Engle.

Edited to add: And maybe 'The Chronicles of Narnia' series?
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

We just read Charlotte's Web and are into Little House in the Big Woods. Do you think he would like that or Stuart Little? Or James and the Giant Peach? Maybe some classics like Robinson Crusoe? (Not sure if that would be age appropriate).

The Little House on the Prairie has been a big hit here. The other day, DD told me she had to do her "morning chores" before breakfast and getting dressed. Note to self: give her some morning chores!! :>

Comment

I LOVE Harry Potter. I have the next one pre-ordered. I think I have read each book at least four times.

My kids are too young to be read to in this manner, so this discussion is interesting. I would say a big stamp of aproval to "The Chronicals of Narnia" and "A Wrinkle in Time." They are GREAT series but Narnia tends to be easier to understand for the younger kids.

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I just remembered -- my neighbor's 7 yo son really liked Because of Winn-Dixie (now a movie) and another book by that author (Tales of Despereaux ??).

Comment

Here's what my kids are reading or have recently read (so these books seem to be attractive to at least some children ):

- The Chronicles of Narnia series
              - The Little House series
              - Stuart Little
              - James and the Giant Peach
              - Charlotte's Web
              - The Call of the Wild
              - White Fang
              - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
              - Old Yeller
              - The Hobbit
              - Mrs. Frisbie and the Rats of NIMH
              - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
              - The Harry Potter series
              - The Bunnicula series (funny!)
              - The Encyclopedia Brown series
              - The Red Badge of Courage
              - Robinson Crusoe (my son particularly liked this one)

I'm debating letting them start the Redwall series (15 books in the series! ). I am about to start reading the first book to gauge its appropriateness for ages 6-9. But, if it checks out OK the plot seems VERY appealing - especially for boys. It's about rats and mice that are monks, knights, and bad guys. It's action/adventure and is supposedly well-written. But, I still have to read the first book....

Jennifer
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Huge Potter fans here as well. I would caution that the fifth book does get more difficult to share with a younger child. It has some romance and Harry is so difficult. Also, there is a death of a major character. (Just a Mommy warning) We are very excited about the new book. My son is eight and can now read the books on his own. We are going to a midnight release party together and will be buying 2 books. My husband has warned him that there is no way he is going to beat Mom through the book. I'll probably not sleep until I finish it ...

I would recommend that you check out some stories by E. Nesbit and a book called Half Magic (I think by Eager?). They are good and child friendly. (The Nesbit stuff is old and some versions are still quite Victorian in the language so watch out for that.) The Charlie Bone series is a Harry Potter imitation -- but it is an interesting read. There are 3 of those. The Legend of Earthsea was a fascinating Potter-like miniseries on A&E; the books proceeded HP but the parallels are strong. There are a few bits that are more grown up that HP but in general it is the story of a young wizard and his journey to fight a great evil. My son is enjoying Atremus Fowl now. I know his friends like that as well. It is like James Bond for kids though --lots of action and some violence. He also likes the Magic Shop series by Bruce Coville. I would save those until your son is a little older; they deal with school bullies and such but they are quite exciting and funny. Judy Blume's Fudge series is also a huge hit with my kids. Of course, we like Narnia as well. Beverly Cleary and E.B. White are great for my daughter, but sometimes slow for my action loving son. Have a fun summer reading!!
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm really looking forward to the next one. I'm sure its going to get more and more difficult for kids to read these books though. The storylines are sure to take on more mature content as the characters age. Makes you wonder if they will change them to regular fiction rather than juvenile?

Comment

Working...
                  X