Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Heart of the Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart of the Matter

I just finished reading Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin and thought it was very good. The main character is a stay at home mom to two small children who is married to a pediatric surgeon. Needless to say, I was able to identify a lot to the main character. Has anyone else read this? What did you think?

Anyone have suggestions on what I should read next?
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

The main character is a stay at home mom to two small children who is married to a pediatric surgeon. Needless to say, I was able to identify a lot to the main character.
    On this alone, I'll have to read it to see what my life looks like when it is shined up for mass publication. While I like Jodi Piccoult, I thought that Harvesting the Heart both made poignant assesments and clear errors about the medical spouse life. I need something to read on the Megabus for our trip next week. (Yes I am delusional that I'm still a college student).
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I've only read My Sisters Keeper from Jodi Piccoult, but I liked it so I'll definitely check out Harvesting the Heart. I thought the life of the medical spouse was depicted as accurately as one could expect from an author who isn't a medical spouse, but I felt at times she wasn't bitter enough. Haha, maybe that's my own projection though. I definitely related with her struggles of losing her identity when she decided to be a SAHM.

Let me know what you think when you're finished reading it!

Comment

I'm starting with Piccoult's first and I'm going to read them all. Now that I have my kindle I read so much more often, can't wait to get to that one.

Have you read My Sister's Keeper - that one was good too. Of course I like all of her stuff.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have really liked most of Jodi Picoult's books.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

There must be something wrong with me, I tried a couple of her books and didn't like them.
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Me too migirl...i'm also not a Picoult fan. I always thought I was the only one!
              I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Granted the only Piccoult book I've read was My Sisters Keeper, but I really liked it. I just reserved Harvesting the Heart, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm curious though, to those who aren't fans, what is it that you didn't like?

Comment

I have heard that a lot, that you either like her or you don't. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm not a fan either, I think it is just a difference in style, she just doesn't engage me like she does others. *shrug* I could take or leave her books.
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

My take on Piccoult is that while I find her entirely readable, she always takes a story just one step too far. I feel like I'm sucked in, rolling along and then the character does something totally implausible. It is so frustrating. I *like* her topics, themes, and understanding of women's issues but I'm never in love with her books. They are enjoyable but mildly irritating.

FWIW, Dan Brown does this to his readers too. For example, in Angels and Demons in the middle of a riveting story that sucked me into an allnighter, I found myself groaning when the Harvard professor saves his life by using a tarp as a makeshift parachute to save his life after he falls out of a helicopter. Um, hello, am I reading a freaking comic book?
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'm with Crystal. I just can't get in to her books. They don't really suck me in like they do to other people.
                        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                          My take on Piccoult is that while I find her entirely readable, she always takes a story just one step too far. I feel like I'm sucked in, rolling along and then the character does something totally implausible. It is so frustrating. I *like* her topics, themes, and understanding of women's issues but I'm never in love with her books. They are enjoyable but mildly irritating.
                          I read Handle With Care. Totally felt that way about it. I was appalled by where the story went.
                          Veronica
                          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I bought this book for my trip next week. And I'm pretty sure I'll be done with it by then. I can't put it down! Thanks for the recommendation. I had never read one of her books and I am seriously enjoying it. I always end up buying non-fiction books and not getting through them!
                            -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

I bought this book for my trip next week. And I'm pretty sure I'll be done with it by then. I can't put it down! Thanks for the recommendation. I had never read one of her books and I am seriously enjoying it. I always end up buying non-fiction books and not getting through them!
                              -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Working...
                              X