Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The DiVinci Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DiVinci Code

Wow- this book is so good on so many levels-

First, it's essentially a murder mystery- always good in my mind.

Second- it explores women in religion- and how their relative importance to the church (Catholic primarily) has been changed over time to meet political needs. It's been very well researched- there was a huge article about he book and the author in the Wash. Post a few weeks ago. It's truly fascinating.

I'm not even halfway through it- and it's one of those book I'm taking in little tiny bites becuse I don't want it to end.

Jenn

I'm reading this now. My daughter read it and told me I would love it. I can't put it down.
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I am reading this now and LOVE it. Even DH is reading it, and he has plenty of other reading to do!

Comment

I loved the book and couldn't put it down. Now that I've finished it in two days, I wish I would have taken my time with it as jloreine suggested! My mom is reading it now and dh says he will when he has some time...we'll see about that!

Comment

I just finished it! I read it really quickly because I was dying to find out the ending. A friend told me that there are puzzles on the book's Web site....I think I will check those out now!

Comment

Do not read this book if you need a full night's sleep -- you will likely be staying up all night to finish reading it!
            I read the book in a matter of days and really enjoyed it. The author hooks you from the beginning and it's a quick read in that it is fast-paced and has short chapters. The interesting story and likable characters helped me to overlook some aspects of his writing (he re-uses character descriptions, a pet peeve).
            This would be a perfect beach read.

Comment

Loved it!! Just started reading Angels and Demons by the same author...

Comment

The first author my boyfriend and I ever have agreed on. He's into the more non-fiction, Stephen Ambrose type. I'm into Jane Green, Marianne Keys, Helen Fielding,...basically any girly fiction. This is the one book we both loved and raced through. Our copy is still getting passed along after a year!

Comment

I first avoided this because it was too popular but after hearing more about it I picked it up and then couldn't put it down--but I tried to read it slowly because I knew I'd find very little as good for the rest of the year. Great storytelling, and made my brain really work in some places. And I'm not a real fan of the Catholic Church (or organized religion in general), so I'm inclined to believe that there may be real truth there.

Comment

Elizabeth I had the same reaction as you did. I couldn't have said it better.
                    Luanne
                    Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I loved this book! I couldn't put it down and finished it in just 2 days. I can't wait to read Angels and Demons now.
                      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I really did enjoy it, but I was reading it for the entertainment!!
                        Luanne
                        Luanne

Comment

I saw a book refuting The DaVinci Code last night at the supermarket.

I just don't get it. Well, I do get it but I think its rather silly.

The novel is listed as fiction.

Its like having books to refute the "facts" behind Memoir of a Geisha or The Name of the Rose or The Red Tent.

Comment

I read it for the Brain Candy factor, not for High Literature. For me, the religion aspect of the book was just another character- it doesn't need to be refuted, analyzed, scrutinized or whatever, as pretty much it's all left my cheese-like brain anyway. Retention, not a strong point of mine...

My life is a little too complicated these days to read more than three pages of any given book on any given night. Right now I'm reading the Clinton autobiography and have been for a month- and he's still in junior high school. Nikolai will probably be in junior high school by the time I'm done.

Jenn

Comment

Jenn you are too funny. I want to read Clinton's book, but it will have to wait until I am finished with school.
                              Luanne
                              Luanne

Comment

Working...
                              X