Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New Daddy books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Daddy books

DH was wondering if you have any suggestions of what he should read?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

My DH read the same parenting books I did... we ended up reading them together during the late night feeds in fact. Specifically, Your Baby and Child by Penelope Leach. It isn't "Dad" specific, but it is helpful to be on the same page with parenting.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

DH has the Bradley Birth Book memorized at this point (but that's natural childbirth specific). He liked the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD (might be nice since your DH is a busy/tired resident).
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

DrK and my brother both loved Be Prepared. It's tounge in cheek but had some helpful tips.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I haven't ever looked at it, but the author of "Show Dad How" writes a column in Parenting that I really like. It sounds cute - lots of funny pictures with good info thrown in. I also agree about Happiest Baby on the Block. Great for dads!

Laurie
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Bravo for all the Dh's who will read parenting books.

My dh never would! They were available to him- even dad specific- but he just wasn't that interested.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
              Bravo for all the Dh's who will read parenting books.

My dh never would! They were available to him- even dad specific- but he just wasn't that interested.
              Ditto.
              Veronica
              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

The only things by DH ever reads are scientific journals, The Economist, and The Weekly Standard--which he then read to these poor children when they were infants, as bedtime material.

So my kids associate neuropathology, British spellings, and Bill Kristol witha good night's sleep.

I really hope our medical insurance will cover lots of therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                  The only things by DH ever reads are scientific journals, The Economist, and The Weekly Standard--which he then read to these poor children when they were infants, as bedtime material.

So my kids associate neuropathology, British spellings, and Bill Kristol witha good night's sleep.

Haha. I asked Ryan if he ever thought he would read dad books He said he would wing it. Our lucky future children.
                  Brandi
                  Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
                    Haha. I asked Ryan if he ever thought he would read dad books He said he would wing it. Our lucky future children.
                    Chris doesn't/hadn't, but will look stuff up as issues arise (like reflux).
                    Jen
                    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post

DH read his med school textbooks to the girls when they were babies/toddlers/young children. They zone out at doctor appointments or when anyone talks medical crap.
                      Veronica
                      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I'm reading some sleep books, and plan to give him certain sections of them to read, but I'll have him look into the few that you guys recommended.

From MY perspective, I'd like to find a book that will teach the man sympathy and compassion. He is the sweetest guy (never complained when he would come home and I had done nothing all day in my first trimester), but at the same time a stereotypical surgeon. He told me to "suck it up" after he found out I was only carrying one baby (when I was really sick in the first trimester). He is very excited about the baby, but refers to pregnancy as a disease, thinks the whole birthing process is disgusting (hated his OBGYN rotation) and I'm a bit worried about him being sensitive to my pain while in labor. I think we are going to have to have a long talk about my "needs during labor."

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                          I'm reading some sleep books, and plan to give him certain sections of them to read, but I'll have him look into the few that you guys recommended.

From MY perspective, I'd like to find a book that will teach the man sympathy and compassion. He is the sweetest guy (never complained when he would come home and I had done nothing all day in my first trimester), but at the same time a stereotypical surgeon. He told me to "suck it up" after he found out I was only carrying one baby (when I was really sick in the first trimester). He is very excited about the baby, but refers to pregnancy as a disease, thinks the whole birthing process is disgusting (hated his OBGYN rotation) and I'm a bit worried about him being sensitive to my pain while in labor. I think we are going to have to have a long talk about my "needs during labor."
                          Can you get a doula? No matter what kind of birth you choose, having someone there to support your needs might be worth it.
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                            Can you get a doula? No matter what kind of birth you choose, having someone there to support your needs might be worth it.
                            I haven't looked into it for financial reasons, and because I would actually rather have my mother or a close friend there. Major tangent, but my mom doesn't want to be there because she thinks its a bonding time between DH and I. I think I need to sit down with DH and discuss. Part of me thinks he COULD be amazing if it is just him, but a small part of me worries that he won't be compassionate enough and/or will be delayed because of work, and I don't want to have any regrets.

Comment

Have him read The Birth Partner. Or you should read it and mark the sections you want him to read. It's very practical and easy to read. I even got my DH to read bits of it the second time around! And he rolled his eyes at all the other birth books I had, parenting books, wouldn't hear talk of a doula, etc. Seriously it's a great book.

Comment

Working...
                              X