Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sookie Stackhouse books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sookie Stackhouse books

Just finished up the newest one... am I crazy, or did the earlier books in the series actually have a plot? The last few have been just TERRIBLE, and yet, I keep reading them! Anybody have recommendations for similar fantasy or mystery series? I've read the Hunger Games and the Dragon Tattoo series... AND all the Game of Thrones books... but the weather is getting warmer and I need some fluffy fiction to read on my porch!

Rest assured, I do actually have plenty of smart books on my shelves... but what fun is that??
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

The last fewSookie books have been pretty bad.

The Hollows series by Kim Harrison is really good. Dead Witch Walking is the first and a little slow to get into. But the last few have been really good!!!

I've also gotten into the Dresden books by Jim Butcher. Male author and main character.

Both series are paranormal urban fantasy.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Are you looking specifically for YA, or just fun books in general? I just read the first of the "Vampire Chef" series by Sarah Zettel, and I really liked it. I think the title is something nightlife? The second book is called "let them eat stake".
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I haven't read the newest one (I am rereading the last two so it's fresh...) but I haven't been happy with the last few, so I'm bummed to hear this one sucks too...

Comment

I'm not partial to YA or adult books... It's funny, if you compare the Sookie books, which I don't think are technically YA, to the Hunger Games, which are, the writing and maturity level of the Hunger Games is so beyond the Sookie books, it's comical. No, I just like some fun, fluffy fiction for the summer months. I'll check out these recommendations! Think maybe it's time to get a library card...

Comment

Oh, how was Game of Thrones? I came thisclose to buying it last week, but didn't. Would you recommend it?
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Game of Thrones is pretty great, and while the subsequent books are also really good, you get zero satisfaction at the end of each. They're totally designed to keep you hanging on, hoping that someday, something GOOD will happen to these characters that you've come to like so much. I thought the most recent book was a clear decline in quality from the previous ones, but just like the Sookie books, I will undoubtedly keep reading in hopes of some kind of resolution... someday... I would say yes to a recommendation. Also, have you seen the show? It's available on Netflix now, and from the couple episodes I've seen, quite good and also rather racy.

Comment

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon! I finally read them thanks to Michele and they are one of my favorite series evah.

Comment

I felt like the Outlander series dragged after a while. I read the first four and then gave up...I do remember liking the first two or three (it's been a while)...

Comment

I love Game of Thrones. The last two were not originally supposed to be divided like that, and I think that's part of the problem.

It's certainly not light reading, but have you read Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, World Without End? It reminds me of GoT, with the complexity of character interactions.

Another oldie, but good one is the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I loved that!
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

There was one Outlander book that just drug on and on. But they've picked back up. Be fair warned though Echo ends with a cliffhanger. It seriously pissed me off (see my thread on it).
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                        There was one Outlander book that just drug on and on. But they've picked back up. Be fair warned though Echo ends with a cliffhanger. It seriously pissed me off (see my thread on it).
                        ^^this. At one point I remember messaging Michele wondering how two people could get into so much trouble. It gets ridiculous after a while. I read her excerpts of book 8 on twitter and it looks awesome.

Comment

Okay...I finished the latest Sookie Stackhouse novel. Really disappointing in so many ways.

Comment

OMG, Pillars of the Earth is my favorite all time book. I recommend Kenn Follett and Jeffery Archer without reservation. I have read everything Archer and Follett have in print. Off to go gt the new ARcher book today. I might pick up Game of Thrones. I'll know who to complain to if I don't like them. I didn't like Gabaldon FWIW.
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'll vouch for GoT, unless you're offended by violence and sex. There's lots of both (although they managed to add on even more sex scenes in the show).

Also, prepare to be hungry. He can go on for pages about the food... Yum!
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                              X