Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

GoodReads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoodReads

Okay ... so now that I complained about it ... someone teach me. How do you use GoodReads? I apparently went there at one point and it automatically logged me in with FB. Now there is a picture there of me. I assume it is from the time that I logged in with FB? I stopped using that picture awhile ago, but it is still up.

I'm frightfully uninformed when it comes to GoodReads.

I did eventually find the book club there too because I got a notification. Now I can't figure out how to find it again.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Let's see, I don't see you in the book group. Since it's closed I think you will need to check your email for the notification if you want to get back to it. Once you join, you'll see it from the "Groups" link at the top of the Goodreads homepage.

Other than that...I like the part on the home page where the Recent Updates show what people are reading or want to read. I like adding a book when I start it, and rating it when I'm done, so I can remember what I read and how long it took and what I thought. Sometimes I write a review if I have strong feelings -- and I like making my kids review the chapter books I read to them. I have separate bookshelves for specific topics, like books I read to the kids, so I can see those in a glomp and refer other people to them.

I connected to Facebook but I don't think I authorized it to do anything, or I deleted any photos it slurped, because I have no photo over there.

May I add you?
    Alison

Comment

Add me, too! Once you get in the group, you'll see me there.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Kris, I believe I was among those who friend requested you when I saw you'd joined and we're FB friends. My favorite way to use Goodreads is to maintain my "to-read" lists, and I like to go through my friends list (those who are active often, which you can tell by your "recent updates" feed on the homepage") and look through their bookshelves. The default bookshelves Goodreads assigns you are "read", "to-read", and "currently reading". When I joined, I started by searching the titles and/or authors of books I'd loved or could at least remember having read and rated them (the green button on a page describing a book allows click it as either "want to read" or you can choose from a drop down menu with "currently reading" or "read". When I initially added books to my "read" shelf that I'd read previously, I didn't take the time to write reviews. Going forward, I try to write reviews of books I finish now, but that's a personal preference. I like to look through my friends shelves and see what books we have in common...looking at the books my friends have added or reviewed is how I've found probably 90% of the books on my "to read" shelf.

The whole thing has become really enjoyable for me, since books are one of my most favorite things and reading is the only thing I've had time to do for myself since August. Most mornings I'll open Goodreads (after Gmail and iMSN. No seriously, it's the same pattern every morning) and then open Audible and Amazon to check the Audible daily deals and the Amazon Kindle Daily Deal (and monthly deals) and compare with my shelf to see if there's anything for sale that I've been wanting to read. I love it, I hope you find it to be enjoyable and/or useful!
        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Damn, the peer pressure! I haven't been on good reads in forever. Now I'll have to get back on. I just responded to friend requests from like 14 of you. "HEY I HAVE FRIENDS!!!!" LOL.
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Feel free to re-add me.
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
              Damn, the peer pressure! I haven't been on good reads in forever. Now I'll have to get back on. I just responded to friend requests from like 14 of you. "HEY I HAVE FRIENDS!!!!" LOL.
              I haven't been on it..... I would like to read a good book. The free ones from amazon are killing me.

I don't know anything about it though. I'm out of it.
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Hiya,
                So I put the recommended books on the Goodreads book shelf and just tried to make a poll on a new IMSN book club thread and couldn't figure it out. Maybe I don't have the permissions? I don't have to be the one who does it, though I'd be glad to, so can someone 1) tell me how or 2) do it for me? A poll would be a lot simpler than tallying manually. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                  Hiya,
                  So I put the recommended books on the Goodreads book shelf and just tried to make a poll on a new IMSN book club thread and couldn't figure it out. Maybe I don't have the permissions? I don't have to be the one who does it, though I'd be glad to, so can someone 1) tell me how or 2) do it for me? A poll would be a lot simpler than tallying manually. Thanks!
                  Post a new thread, and scroll to the bottom of the input page. You should see a ticky-box with "Post a poll with ___ options".
                  Alison

Comment

How do I get into the iMSN group?
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Meenah View Post
                      How do I get into the iMSN group?
                      I think if you PM wolfpackwife here with your goodreads name, she can add you to the group...looks like she's the only one who can invite.
                      Sandy
                      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                      X