Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Jury is OUT! (Book Club Vote)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jury is OUT! (Book Club Vote)

Greetings,
    We have 8 book suggestions which I have put on the IMSN Goodreads page for your perusal. The poll option on this forum does not allow rating, which I should have expected, therefore please vote on two-three books and those will be read first. Here is the link to the Goodreads bookshelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/book...imsn-book-club

Happy Voting!
    MSW
    S. --- By Doug Durst
    8.70%
    A Million Little Pieces -- By James Frey
    4.35%
    The Storyteller --- By Jodi Picoult
    13.04%
    Loves Work: A Reckoning with Life --- By Gillian Rose
    8.70%
    Someone -- By Alice McDermott
    13.04%
    Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable... -- By Brenne Brown
    4.35%
    The Goldfinch --- By Donna Tartt
    26.09%
    Flowertown --- By S.G. Redling
    21.74%

The poll is expired.

This looks like a great list of 8. Maybe we should just rank them from high to low and and then have our book selections for the next 8 months?
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Can I just say I like this format? Reading the reviews all in one place on Goodreads, but coming back here to vote? Kudos, and thanks for organizing this!
      Alison

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
        This looks like a great list of 8. Maybe we should just rank them from high to low and and then have our book selections for the next 8 months?

The plan is to use the voting system as a measure to rank them, books with most votes get read first until ostensibly in 8 months we'll have gone through all of them. I'm new to this forum but do know that 8 months can be a long time for an online community so if there are people still interested in participating, or new members who want to submit suggestions we can reassess some months down the road if need be.

And thanks, Alison!

Comment

Just a question, but is everyone going to be buying these books? Goldfinch looks really interesting but I am number 331 on the waiting list at the library for the hard copy and number 91 on the online copy and thus wont be reading it for a very long time... to late to do the discussion if its chosen first. Sadly, my library doesn't even have a copy of Flowertown. I don't have money to spend on books right now. I am not saying you should wait for me. I am just asking how many people are going to be willing to buy the books? When I go home in Jan I will go by half price books to see if any of them are there on major discount...
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Yeah, I don't buy fiction, except sometimes grabbing a <$8 Kindle edition.. Between one thing and another I have a full Amazon Prime membership through early January, so I was going to get Flowertown on the lending library. I guess I figured I'd reserve any others through the library and if I got the books too late, I'd just be bringing up the rear with the conversation. But I confess that's part of why I didn't vote for S. From the description of how some parts are designed to slip right out when you open the pages, I don't see that book working unless you buy it new. :\
            Last edited by spotty_dog; 12-14-2013, 09:41 AM.
            Alison

Comment

I sympthize ... but I think that adds a level of difficulty to the selection system that is almost insurmountable. If we have to factor that in, then we just won't be able to choose books. How can we select based on library availability in different areas?

What if ... those of us who buy the book read it and then send it to those of you who need it? I'm happy to share on my nook or send a hard copy once I'm done reading.....I'm happy to read quickly and then pass my copy on.

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                I sympthize ... but I think that adds a level of difficulty to the selection system that is almost insurmountable. If we have to factor that in, then we just won't be able to choose books. How can we select based on library availability in different areas?
                Oh, for sure, I don't expect anyone else to vote based on those criteria. Just sympathizing with L.Jane. I think for this round we should vote based on what we want to read, and those of us who plan to hold out for the library can just bring up the rear. No biggie, that's kind of a bonus for doing it in the forum and not IRL. I have a book on my side table right now that I reserved when an interesting conversation broke out on another board...three months later I'm starting it, and will be able to chime in soon.
                Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                  Oh, for sure, I don't expect anyone else to vote based on those criteria. Just sympathizing with L.Jane. I think for this round we should vote based on what we want to read, and those of us who plan to hold out for the library can just bring up the rear. No biggie, that's kind of a bonus for doing it in the forum and not IRL. I have a book on my side table right now that I reserved when an interesting conversation broke out on another board...three months later I'm starting it, and will be able to chime in soon.
                  This works for me. Will we start a new thread for each book so that I dont have to skim through a whole thread to find the discussion on the book I am currently reading? That way I can go directly to the thread with the book I have just finished once I am able to join in?
                  -L.Jane

Comment

That sounds good to me, come to think of it we should title them book of the "month" as I am sure it will take us more than a month to read each book. I love the novel I'm reading right now but I've had to consolidate reading and gym time to one activity and lets just say I haven't read in almost two weeks.

I don't have a problem buying books and handing them off to someone else. I do typically just buy books on the Book app on IPAD but if there's a sharing setting to the kindle can I download that app and share? Otherwise I'll just buy a physical copy.

Comment

Just wanted to give a heads up.. Flowertown is on sale on Amazon for Kindle today for 1.99. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=1000677541
                      -L.Jane

Comment

Awesome!! Thank you! Just bought it.
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Great! So Goldfinch is first...can we plan to "start" after Christmas at least? Or maybe the new year?

Comment

Probably new year would be better, for me at least. My kids are off until Jan 6. :-O

Comment

New year sounds like a good time to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X