Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Divergent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divergent?

OK, who has read the newest YA must read? I picked it up Thursday and I'm already on book 2.

I really love the action and the thought provoking dilemmas. While i enthusiastically endorse this quick, adrenaline rush, if I had to critique, I would say that it sorely lacks in character development. But really, what's new in YA lit? (See, e.g., Twilight, Hunger Games, et. al). I really like to hear what's going on in the characters heads and how all of us are far more complex than simple "good guys" or "bad guys", which is why I adore J.K. Rowling.

Tell me: Who's hooked? I'm a fan!!!
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I enjoyed it. Without giving spoilers I found the third book interesting but not exactly where I thought it was going. I was not as engaged in this book series as I have been others. I really liked the concept of the whole thing but it must of been the character development that left me with the feeling something was missing. I am interested to see how it plays out in the movies.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I really liked it, too! The factions were fun to read about and think about. It's really hard to end a dystopian story, but I thought this one was a little more satisfying than the end of The Hunger Games.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
        I enjoyed it. Without giving spoilers I found the third book interesting but not exactly where I thought it was going. I was not as engaged in this book series as I have been others. I really liked the concept of the whole thing but it must of been the character development that left me with the feeling something was missing. I am interested to see how it plays out in the movies.
        Yes, and in the third book when it kept flipping between the two main characters' POV, I had to keep double checking who I was reading because their voices sounded the same.

I didn't find book 3 of either this series, or THG very satisfying. :-/

Comment

I liked them but they weren't some of my favorites.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
            Yes, and in the third book when it kept flipping between the two main characters' POV, I had to keep double checking who I was reading because their voices sounded the same.

I didn't find book 3 of either this series, or THG very satisfying. :-/
            This. The character voices were identical.
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I've heard some good things about these books and I've been wanting to read them but keep putting off buying the first book on my Kindle in case I'm disappointed.

Comment

I really enjoyed Divergent and Insurgent. Allegiant left me a little disappointed but still enjoyed the series as a whole. I think it was a really interesting concept of factions and the way they were created. Hate, though, the casting of Shailene Woodley as Tris in the upcoming movies :/
                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by KlynK View Post
                  I really enjoyed Divergent and Insurgent. Allegiant left me a little disappointed but still enjoyed the series as a whole. I think it was a really interesting concept of factions and the way they were created. Hate, though, the casting of Shailene Woodley as Tris in the upcoming movies :/
                  She tends to annoy me, but I am going to give her a chance since she seems to be cast in about everything these days.
                  -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                  Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                  Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

My teens want to read it so now I have to. Wasn't too excited to go there having read all the horrible reviews for book 3... Ah well. Parenting...
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I really liked the series. I read it a few years ago (I'm a YA nut so I read everything) and now am reading again as an escape. I like the strong female character Tris and also how the governing body in charge is JUST as corrupt as the group against the governing body.

If you want a bit more character development try Kristin Cashore's "Graceling." It's more fantasy than sci-fic but I think Cashore is a talented writer. After Graceling I read her other two novels in a matter of a few weeks.
                      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                      X