Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Book Club Book II: Flowertown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Club Book II: Flowertown

I started it. has some dirty language i hope doesnt deter people. so far interesting plot (and easy read)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started it too. Yes...easy read. It's going quickly. Wondering when the big "mystery" will reveal, not there yet.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm 90% through and O.M.G. I've just been hit between the eyes. (No spoilers.)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Haha the book practically reads itself. Way more preferable than Flaubert right now haha

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
          Haha the book practically reads itself. Way more preferable than Flaubert right now haha
          I wouldn't say that but there is a quick acceleration at the end. I had a hard time getting into it. The characters were hard for me to relate to and it's disorienting coming off of the other books I've been reading which were more character driven. This is plot driven. It speeds up half way through and then really goes fast for the last 10%. I'm done now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

I finished it on two days. It is plot driven. Not particularly believable to me or that great. It was decent, though. Average?
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
              I finished it on two days. It is plot driven. Not particularly believable to me or that great. It was decent, though. Average?
              I agree. In order to keep momentum, the author paints with a wide brush. I found myself going back because if I skimmed a sentence, I'd be wondering how I got to the next.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post

I agree with this. I really didn't give a flip about the main character. Ellie maybe started to grow on me in the last part of the book, but even then I didn't see many great qualities in her. In fact the only character I was really curious about the whole time and wanted to know more was Guy. His character seemed to have more depth than any of the others.
                -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I finished it quickly, too. I had high hopes for it, and I was disappointed. I think the author changed her mind about the ending at some point and didn't wrap up all the questions well.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

The first half or 3/4 was fun because it was such a breeze to read but there were so many small plot twists by the time friend turned into the villain I didn't even care. The only character I liked was Guy, he had more depth than I expected.

What should we do about the next book? We have Someone by Alice McDermott and The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult tied for 3rd place. Should we pick one or come up with a new list? It's taken us close to 5 months to read these two. (Will post same question in other thread)

Comment

Aside from the unsympathetic characters, we could probably have a decent discussion regarding the medical ethics (or lack thereof) presented in the book. A lot of the plot was driven by psychological profiling, drug trials, the ethics of conducting medical research after a crisis occurs organically (either naturally or by accident) and contrasted with the ethics of infecting/reinfecting a population....Flowertown residents basically became lab rats....I don't want to say too much if people are still reading. Are spoilers ok now?

Comment

Working...
                      X