Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Where do you read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you read?

I have always read before bed --- so usually I put in my most hours reading in bed. Lately though, I've been curling up in a recliner in the living room. It's awesome. I feel guilty though spending hours reading in the heart of the house. Why is it that a kid walking by me reading will think I'm "doing nothing" but if I am watching a TV show then I'm "busy'? Books get no respect, I say!

I just hung up the hammock. I'm hoping that it's in a relatively bug free spot. I think the bookworm daughter and I will be fighting over that spot....

My husband can only read when he travels. He finishes books on planes, mostly -- sometimes next to a pool. Regularly though, he falls asleep reading and can't get in to anything.

How about you?
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Let us see, where do I not read. I normally have 3 or 4 books going.

I have book to read in the bathroom every time I go.
    I have a book by my nightstand to read.
    I generally have a book on my dining room table that has a workbook that I go through. ( Boundaries in marriage right now.)
    I also have a book in my car as well as books on my kindle for the times I am waiting to pick a child up or have that 10 extra minutes.

Oh, it is funny in our family. When hubby isn't here, the children and I will eat dinner/lunch and we are each reading our own book at the table. So yes, I will often read while I eat as well.

Reading is serious business here. I mostly read nonfiction. I tried the Goldfinch and just couldn't get into it. I did like the Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry that I read recently.

Comment

I mostly read books while I'm traveling, too. I always download a new book before every flight. I've never really gotten into reading before bed, and it seems like our house is too distracting otherwise. I imagine/hope that as the kids get older I'll have more time to read.

Comment

On the kindle mostly lately. Southern Living while I'm nursing is about all I can manage lately. I miss downtime.

Sorry, impromptu pity party. It's my own fault.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

In bed, in the van, waiting room at therapy appointments for the boy, in the living room. Anywhere. There's usually a book and an iPad in my purse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

In bed and in the car while whoever is in a class. And on vacation. Sweet, sweet vacation.

Comment

In bed mostly...but it can't be before sleeping or I won't if to sleep! Planes too...

Comment

During the school year, I hardly read at all (sad), but when I do, it is in bed. During breaks, though, I read anywhere and everywhere. My favorite spot is the hammock on our deck when I'm at home, or on the beach! I have been binge reading since school got out. I've read all 21 of the Stephanie Plum mysteries (Evanovich) and enjoyed every single one, as well as 4 or 5 other random books. Soooo relaxing!
                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Bathtub! And I'm posting from there too.
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                    Bathtub! And I'm posting from there too.
                    The only room in the house with privacy, amiright?!

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                      The only room in the house with privacy, amiright?!
                      Wait? Your bathroom offers privacy?
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                        Wait? Your bathroom offers privacy?
                        Because mine would appear to be a magnet for petty complaints.
                        Kris

Comment

Or my daughter who comes in just so I "won't be lonely" :/
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Honestly it is the one room no one has ever bugged me in. Now if I want to talk on the phone, forget it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I love to read and have lots of free time to do it right now without a job, without kids, and a DH who works 80+ hrs a week (residency hours restrictions whaaaat?). Usually find myself reading in bed before going to sleep (which I know you're not supposed to do for good 'sleep hygiene' or whatever, but doesn't seem to bother me), or in the evenings on our deck (nice and cool, I can enjoy the sunset and fireflies...).

On a related note, people who can be reading several books at once amuse me. That's talent! I tried two books once and couldn't do it. I have to read a book cover to cover, and only then can I start another one. Although, on second thought, maybe I'm the weird one...
                              PA and wife of a PGY2 in neurosurgery. And "cat-mom" to the two sweetest cats anyone could hope for.

Comment

Working...
                              X