Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

To the liberals among us.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the liberals among us.....

Ten Minutes From Normal (Karen Hughes) and Shut Up and Sing are two books that I have read lately that have confirmed my conservative leanings. I don't expect anyone's mind to change, but I thought that both books were informative and thought provoking, so I wanted to recommend them to you all.

Karen Hughes' book is a look at what life is like when you are one of the President's closest advisors. Whatever you may think about Bush, he does seem to surround himself with smart women, and for that he deserves points. The other book (sorry I don't remember the author, but she is some kind of conservative pundit or commentator) is an in-depth look at the liberal-elite culture, especially the artists who exist within that sub-group. It has always driven me nuts that the liberal artists are given a platform in the media for their political views, so reading this book was very satisfying to me.

Give these a read if you get a chance.....I read Michael Moore, the newspaper, and watch tv to make sure I hear the liberal side of things......so I thought you guys might want a chance to read something conservative.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Re: To the liberals among us.....

Originally posted by mommax3
    Whatever you may think about Bush, he does seem to surround himself with smart women, and for that he deserves points.
    Not when one of them happens to be Gale "chainsaw" Norton.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Comment

I'm chuckling over the fact that I just discovered this....I have read shut up and sing....but I'll stick with alison in regards to my opinion. It is interesting to read the spin from both the right and the left. The most radical liberal author is by far michael moore...for the conservatives it is Ann Coulter...

In any case, the problem that I have with many of the books from the left and the right is that they don't address much more than their own agendas. I'd love to read a book where both sides of the issues and the pros and cons of a few different policies are discussed. The title "Shut up and Sing" is as offensive to me as the title "Stupid White Men" "Bushwacked" or "How to talk to a liberal if you really have to". At the end of the day, a democracy isn't about shutting up and toting the party line or else...it is about the freedom to agree/disagree/discuss issues/protest and debate. Her title really said it all.

:>
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Well, Kris, I do agree with you (believe it or not! ) about what a democracy is......I think "Shut Up and Sing" refers more to a segment of the population who we as a society have made rich because they entertain us......some of them, unfortunately, take their popularity as entertainers and extrapolate it to mean that we give a rat's a** about their political opinions. Because of their celebrity, they are able to air their public opinions in ways that you or I, as non-celebrities, are not able to.

I don't think that the title refers to every liberal, by any means. (Especially those that can't carry a tune! )

I do agree about the lack of real discussion in books by either the extreme right or left....this book in particular just addressed a particularly long-standing pet peeve of mine, so it was a very self-indulgent read for me!

I liked the Karen Hughes book a lot better, actually, although obviously, she has an agenda as well. I would like to know why alison_in_oh was not impressed, just for curiousity's sake......

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

In any case, the problem that I have with many of the books from the left and the right is that they don't address much more than their own agendas.
          I completely agree!

Comment

Working...
          X