Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science

This is a book by Atul Gawande, who is a surgical resident in Boston and a staff writer for The New Yorker. I finished this book a while ago, but just got it out again, simply because it provides very valuable insight regarding the surgical mentality. As such, I find that it's easier for me to understand where the attending physicians I work with are coming from, and often why it is difficult for them to face the death of one of their patients (this has been a huge issue in my ICU)

One snipet: "Medicine is, I have found, a strange and in many ways disturbing business. The stakes are high, the liberties taken tremendous...What you find when you get in close, however--close enough to see the furrowed brows, the doubts and missteps, the failures as well as the successes--is how messy, uncertain and also surprising medicine turns out to be."

It's a great read, with many stories about Gawande's real patients. Highly recommend for you (and your SOs!)

I picked this up a few years ago when browsing my way through a bookstore. Within the first few pages I was hooked. I definitely recommend this book.

Comment

This book is next on my list. I bought it for DH a few years for a birthday present.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

EVERYONE should read this book. We are reading this month for the spouses book club and I can't wait to see what everyone has to say about it. I'm going to make my husband read it next. I'm also going to recommend it to our families and his best friend. I think anyone that knows a resident, especially, or has ever had a very sick family member should read this book. I think it is a great insight into how doctors, especially surgeon's (typically) think.

I'll fill you in on our book club discussion later this month.

:coffee
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheri
          I'll fill you in on our book club discussion later this month.

:coffee
          Hey, we should have one of those on here. We all seem to like a lot of the same books, and it would expose us to ones we might not otherwise have read.

Comment

I liked the book but found it a bit too preachy. I liked "House of God" much better. The whole time I was reading "Complications," I kept thinking "You have 3 kids and a wife at home why are you traveling all over the country interviewing strange people."

Comment

Working...
            X