Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Red Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Red Tent

My cousin raved about this book while we were at the beach. I bought it to take with me to Ireland but never started it. It's fabulous! It's the stroy of the Old Testament from Dinah's (Jacob's daughter) perspective. I had approximately five minutes of religious education growing up so I was somewhat leery. Not to worry, though, it's just great. Get it!!

Jenn

Jenn--

Who is the author? Is it historical fiction? You've piqued my curiousity.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

It is by Anita Diamante - I believe that is how you spell it. It is a *great* book - I have heard soooo many women talking about it. I bought it for my mother in law for her birthday and she was so happy. I haven't read it yet but it is on my list of things to do!

Comment

Thanks! I'll buy it this week.

Kelly

Comment

kelly -

ready! i'll need a little pleasure reading break every now and then for i have started full-time work on the thesis!

Comment

I'm ready to start this book finally. I had to scrape up some cash to buy the newly released paperback. Claudia, are you ready to begin this book?

Comment

Claudia,

Have you started reading this? What is your reaction?

I'm about 2/3 through and find that I am really enjoying this book which is a surprise considering that the antiquities are definitely not my hot button.

Kelly

Comment

I just finished this book a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I have to say, though, that the first 100 or so pages were tough for me to get through. I had a difficult time adjusting to the language and thought it sounded kind of "prissy" because it was so proper (things like calling someone an ornery goat and that sort of thing) but I realize it was true to the time of the novel.
                After I got to the middle of the book (when Jacob's clan started moving to Canaan) I thought the book really picked up.

I also was getting to a point of ....red tent....blood, blood, blood, blah, blah, sex, sex, sex, blah, blah....but then I started to see how this was what really formed a bond and sisterhood between the women and allowed their stories to be shared and passed through generations. And this is probably what it was like to be a woman several thousand years ago. (I understand there may be some debate about the accuracy of some of the pagan practices so I regard this novel as fiction). The drama of Dinah's life is at times heartbreaking but I admired her strength and reslove.
                The book is very well written. Anita Diamant very successfully gives life to Dinah and the I was left feeling connected to and concerned for Dinah and the outcome of her life.

Comment

Working...
                X