Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich

After you read this book, you'll never want to shop at Wal~Mart again.

Seriously, this is a wonderfully written book. Ehrenreich goes "Undercover" in minimum wage America and describes her many failed attempts to eek out a living...this is a really enlightening look at the lives of individuals and families trying to survive in America today......

Has anyone else read this?

Kris
    Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!

Kris,
    I didn't read the book but read an excerpt by the author in The Atlantic Monthly. It was fascinating and heartbreaking. The section in the magazine detailed her experience working for a maid company. I don't recall much of the details but the general idea stuck with me.

Comment

Nellie,

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Atlantic Monthly...I just received a free subscription in exchange for some frequent flyer miles and I can't get enough of it.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I loved it, too! I just found that I didn't have time to read it.
        Someday when I have more time to read, I will re-subscribe to that and The New Yorker.
        I love the list they have in the beginning of The Atlantic Monthly and the little snippets of writing...can't remember what they are called. Maybe I'll get that subscription sooner than later....

Comment

My bad...the list (index) and snippets are in Harper's -- another magazine I love and don't have enough time for.

Comment

I just finished this book -- it should be required reading for every legislator at both the state and federal levels. The description that got me was when she was working as a housecleaner for one of those companies. Something has always rubbed me the wrong way about hiring people from those places -- now I understand why. If I am ever able to afford household help, I am going to be sure to hire someone who works for themselves, rather than one of those companies.

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

bump

Comment

I just started reading this book from the library. It is a rare book where I feel impassioned for change and I see myself making major lifestyle changes in order to uphold these beliefs....only to find myself back at walmart buying paper towels next week.

Seriously, this book is a great read and it exposes the harsh reality of the invisible society that we live with every day: the working poor. You will rip through this book if you pick it up and think twice about the janitor or waiter that you pass by daily.

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by kmbsjbcgb
                  You will rip through this book if you pick it up and think twice about the janitor or waiter that you pass by daily.

Kelly
                  So true! If anything, I felt that it heightened my social conscience and gave me a tremendous amount of respect towards the working poor.
                  Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I finished this book and I want to do something about the passion that it evokes in me. The final chapter takes place at a Walmart in the Twin Cities. She attempted living here during an acute housing shortage which occurred at the same time that we moved here. Of course, we are a white, educated young family who could NOT find an affordable place to live on resident's wages. I remember trying to put an $800 deposit on an apartment sight unseen but no one would take it. We finally *lucked* into a place. When we went to buy our modest condo we had to make a bid instantly in order to get it and we saw it before it even went on the market! BTW, we would have a hard time affording this same condo if we were to try to purchase it today. I really don't know how other residents with families make it here.

Being the egocentric individual that I am, I didn't even consider how this housing shortage would affect the poor if we as the educated, moderately paid were experiencing this type of housing competition.

Anyway, this book hit very, very close to home. I'm logging onto the Children's Defense Fund today and going to see if I can at least make a contribution. Again, being the egocentric A** that I am, I'm frustrated by my almost inability to secure quality childcare on my wages and eek out a living. I can't imagine what a clerk at Walmart does for childcare. <<shudder>>>Really, I have to do something about this. I can no longer let my apathy let me sit aside and do nothing.

Kelly

Comment

Kelly,
                      Let me know what you figure out! One thing I can think of is to "vote" with your dollar and, to the extent reasonable, have some control over what kind of establishment gets your money.
                      I should read this book. As I said, I have only read the portion about her experience working for a Merry Maids sort of place. When I have been able to hire someone to clean the house, I always find someone who is self-employed.

Comment

I just finished this book this weekend and really enjoyed it. She points out so many issues and obstacles to employment and securing affordable housing/child care, none of which I had ever thought about before. It's never occurred to me that someone would have trouble coming up with a security deposit (not to mention first and last month's rent) for an apartment, or that people in these types of jobs can't just call in sick like I can (even if I feel just fine ), etc, etc. We like to support local businesses to the extent possible, I'm going to try my best to increasingly 'vote' with my dollars and only support those establishments that I feel are good corporate citizens. This is a great book that really opened my eyes.
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
                        X