Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The House of God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The House of God

Anyone read this book? My husband just started it and he thought it had some very interesting views on being an intern. It is supposed to be an "autobiography" of sorts of an intern at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston during the 70s and focusing on how the medical system affects a new physician's life. Anyway, I thought it might be an interesting read....

Jennifer

Jennifer,

I have read this book a couple of times....it's a bit on the cynical side from time to time and some of the perspectives have aged...but we found some of the things to still be true..ie.gomers, trying to get patients transferred to other wards (can't remember what they called it in the book), etc...

It's really good.

Kris
    Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!

Comment

My husband and I both have read it - another great book.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

i liked it alot, my hubby and I quote from it all the time. definitely very cynical.
        Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Another one I've read in the same vein - "Intern Blues" which is a diary of 3 peds interns. Gets depressing, but it's a good read for 4th year med students and others.
          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
          Let's go Mets!

Comment

Intern Blues

it's a good read for 4th year med students and others.
            ugh...or maybe not . Let them have a few more months of denial before reality hits

Just kidding, guys..it's NOT that bad

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Has anyone read the sequel to this one-- "Mount Misery"? It follows the main character through his psychiatry residency. and it seems to follow the plot of Dante's "Inferno" pretty closely. I liked it even better than "House of God".[/url]

Comment

No, but now I plan to. I really liked House of God.
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Mount Misery

Oh man - I'm reading Mt. Misery - what a disturbing book! Anybody know if this is at all realistic?
                  Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                  Let's go Mets!

Comment

I'm almost finished with House of God now, and it's pretty shocking but very very good. I think I'm going to strongly recommend it to my boyfriend, especially since the girlfriend in the book is kind of the hero who saves his humanity and pulls him back from the brink.

Should I take the fact that everyone is commenting on this book's cynicism to mean that internship isn't quite this bad for most people? Obviously internship in real life is harsh, but do they really end up a burnt-out shell of a human being by the end, like Roy in the book does before he's able reconnect with his emotions?

Anyone who's read the book and been through internship care to comment?
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

deleted

Comment

Working...
                      X