Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Middlesex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middlesex

This book is a melting pot of times and themes: family secrets, turn of the century Greece, Detroit, hermaphrodites and lesbians, teenage angst, to name a few. Suprisingly Stephanides makes all of this work in a amazingly good read. The author's voice is like listening to a wise cracking friend who has become somewhat self-actualized. Overall, this is an enjoyable read.

On another note, should I read into the fact that this is the second book about intersexism that I've read this year?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I just finished this enjoyable read....I read a review of it which alluded to the author's cockiness. Yes, Euginedes is that but he has a hell of a story to tell and he knows that he is sucking the reader in. Because of all of the similarities between the main character and Eugenides, I kept on flipping to the back cover to ensure that this wasn't at least somewhat autobiographical. Really satisfying read.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I read this a few weeks ago. It was very good.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I thought this was a fantastic book. It would have been interesting enough to read a tale about a person who is a hermaphrodite, but this book spans 3 generations and tells a really great story.
          Regarding the author, is this somewhat autobiographical??? I had imagined he might be Greek due to his name, but wasn't aware if there were any other similarities.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I liked the book but wanted more info as to what happened to his relationship with that woman. I didn't feel that the ending wrapped everything up. But would definitely recommend it.

Comment

Just finished it. Very good, although sometimes overly wordy and you want to say "Get to the point! I haven't got all day!" I can relate to what Kelly said about the author (don't want to try to spell it) "knowing he's sucking you in" and being cocky.

Usually when I like a book, I can't put it down. This one I had to make myself return to, but was never bored when I did.

Comment

I just finished this book and loved it. I devoured the last 150 or so pages and was a little sad to see it end.

I agree with Kelly's note re: the authors cockiness and have noticed that in some of his interviews.

Two gripes -- Chapter Eleven as the brother's name. I got at the end why he has this name but it was distracting. I wish he made some sort of reference or acknowledgement earlier on (a la the Obscure Object and protecting her identity). I thought Zizmo as the Nation of Islam leader was a stretch.

Comment

Re: Middlesex

I'm almost finished with this now. So far so good, but not something I'll read again.

Comment

Originally posted by SueC View Post
                    I thought this was a fantastic book. It would have been interesting enough to read a tale about a person who is a hermaphrodite, but this book spans 3 generations and tells a really great story.
                    Regarding the author, is this somewhat autobiographical??? I had imagined he might be Greek due to his name, but wasn't aware if there were any other similarities.
                    Ok, so I came across this thread that is about a million years old and I couldn't help but look because "Middlesex" is one of my favorite books.

I met Jeffery Eugendies at a book event when "Middlesex" was first published -- before it won the Pulitzer and before anyone knew who he was. His prior book (only other book) was "The Virgin Suicides" and was also remarkable for his insight into the female psyche. I had read that so I had a vague idea about the author.

The event was poorly attended; I'd say that there were less than a dozen people at the reading. I think it was the first stop on his book tour and it was so awkward for him. I happened to stop in because I was walking my dog in the neighborhood and the bookstore welcomed dogs. As they were introducing him, I hadn't realized that he was the slight man sitting directly beside me.

His reading was amazing -- complete with a pitch-perfect Greek accent for Desdemona. However, after each reading, the group would just sit silently. I felt sorry for the guy.

I bought the book and we chatted a little after. He is very slight and soft-spoken. I think he said that his parents were from Greece; he identifies himself as Greek and he'd lived in Detroit. Of course, I didn't ask him anything about his gender identity. However he was married to a woman at the time. I've heard a lot of speculation about whether this book could be autobiographical. Either it is or he's just that good.

We mostly chatted about my dog (He was amazed that the dog sat quietly through the reading. He didn't know that she quietly sat through law school too.) and we talked about "The Virgin Suicides" (since I hadn't yet read Middlesex). He said that he was pleased with Sofia Coppala's movie based on "The Virgin Suicides" and felt that she accurately captured the nuances of his book. He said that he had many theories about the end of The Virgin Suicides -- I'm trying not to spoil it for those that may not have read it -- but he wasn't sure which explained the outcome best.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I'm looking forward to reading this book. I live a few miles from the "Middlesex house" and a friend knows the family mentioned in the book whose son died. I have an acquaintance who lives on Middlesex and she said people drive around quite frequently looking for the house.

Comment

Working...
                      X