Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Me Talk Pretty One Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me Talk Pretty One Day

Jeez-

Laugh out loud funny- I embarrassed my husband on the airplane!

Jenn

That sounds like a book I would like to read.

Comment

Jenn--

I laughed at this book too but felt it was a little disjointed. It was entertaining, nonetheless.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Kelly-

I agree- there certainly isn't a 'flow' but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Jenn

Comment

I really liked this book. I would keep my husband awake because I would be laughing so much while reading in bed.

Comment

Have you ever read his book "Holidays on Ice"? It has the story "Santaland Diaries" where he talks about being a Christmas elf at Macy's. It's a riot. His work is a little uneven, and I don't love all the stories in his books, but when he's on there's nothing funnier.

Eliz

Comment

I didn't read the Holidays on Ice. You're right that some of the stories don't quite click for me, but others....
              Have you ever heard David Sedaris on This American Life? It was great to hear his voice because I could imagine how he would read the stories in Me Talk Pretty One Day.

Comment

What is this book about?
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                  Have you ever heard David Sedaris on This American Life? It was great to hear his voice because I could imagine how he would read the stories in Me Talk Pretty One Day.
                  Oh yes, that was my first introduction to him. There was this big fuss over one of his books and he was supposed to be the hippest, coolest thing going, so I had this picture in my head of the stereotypical jaded cool guy--and then I heard him on NPR and thought he sounded just like Ross Perot, which only made his writing funnier.

NPR also introduced me to Sarah Vowell--her essay on Thanksgiving with her family in New York was fantastic--and I loved both her books "The Partly Cloudy Patriot" and "Take the Cannoli". If you like Sedaris, try her stuff too.

Eliz

Comment

Luanne-

I'll send you my copy! I'll mail it media mail so you should get it in a week or so (maybe longer).

It's essentially an angst ridden white gay guy and all of the resultant traumas. Some of the stories I foun to be wet-my-pants funny- others weren't quite on the mark.

I'll send it on Tuesday.

Jenn

Comment

thanks so much!!
                      Luanne
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                      X