Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

More HP discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More HP discussion

I just finished No. 5 and 6 and am aching to talk about Harry some more. Are you all willing to appease this self-professed HP geek? I lurked at some HP dedicated sites, but I was a little disturbed by some of the discussions I saw. (Holy cow, Julie, you were right! )

First, let me just start with, GET IT NEVILLE! Holy cow, who knew he had that whole Clark Kent thing going on? Second, do you all want to engage in another set of points to discuss. (I'll take your silence as a yes!)

1. Which of JK's themes hits a nerve within you? Why?

2. Do you have any criticisms?

3. What lingering questions remain?

4.(super geek mode) What would you choose as your animagus counterpart?

5. Add your own discussion point here!

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I am fascinated with J.K.'s take on legacies. She has stated publicly that she does not believe in fate, and yet so many times we see the sins of the father being dealt with by the son. Hermione gracefully exceeds expectations although she is muggle born. Ron struggles with finding his place against the backdrop of his socioeconomic background and successful siblings. Harry both struggles with and succeeds in spite of and because of the fact that he is allowed to grow up with the myth of "perfect parents". Learning about his father's youthful transgressions shakes him to his core. Black and Draco basically have to choose between alienating a family or following family traditions and each have terrible outcomes. Really, neither of them were stuck with fabulous choices. Even Snape is a byproduct of his legacy as an outcast to some degree.

Anyway, I appreciate J.K.'s take on the burdens and blessings that family legacies become and how they form central themes in an individual's life.

I know that there has been some amount of criticism over the development of Hermione and/or the lack of strong female characters. I disagree with this. There was one point in book 5 however, where in spite of Hermione's misgivings about going to the Ministry to rescue Sirius, where Harry basically tells her in no uncertain terms that he is right. In my mind this had the effect of stating that Sirius's life was more valuable than his best mate Hermione's safety. I guess that Harry's indolent and self-serving nature annoyed me more than the assumption that Hermione caved because she was weak. I felt that the fault was more Harry's than Hermiones. (He appeared somewhat selfish in book 5).

I also think that in book 6, J.K.'s attempt to be discreet in only allowing certain snippets of information out a bit of a time became a tad annoying. I realize this was done to create suspense, but it made the text a tad confusing at times.

Is there any hope that Snape and/or Draco will be redeemed? And the obvious question--Who is RAB and will this individual help Harry recover the Horocruxes.

I'm still groovin' on the house elf imagery. Else, I'd probably choose a big game cat.

5. Add your own discussion point here!

One thing that struck me on a personal note early on in the series is the fact that it was a mother's love for her son that was the ultimate force, as if she could enshroud him in a protective cloak to carry through his entire life. J.K. simply knows the depth of a parent's love and it shows. I thought that this was absolutely beautiful and would provide this to my son (minus the whole death and setting my son up as an icon in an epic battle which must be fought. )

Kelly

P.S. Please join in so I don't feel like an uber-dork!

Comment

ooohhh I just finished the third book (I'm reading them all for the first time) and I so want to join this discussion in a couple of weeks when I've gotten through the sixth....

So far, I really am enjoying these books - especially The Prisoner of Azkhaban - it was outstanding!

Jennifer
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Re: More HP discussion

Originally posted by kmbsjbcgb
        The contrast between Harry and Voldemort. Both start out as orphans and have pretty shoddy existances before being "saved" by Dumbledore. But, despite all of their similarities they choose wildly different paths. It's interesting to me that choice is emphasized so much in these books - that, given the same set of circumstances two people would choose two entirely opposing paths in life.

Not any major criticism at this point.

Well, after the sixth book definitely what's up with Snape! And, did Dumbledore actually ask Snape to kill him for some reason? That last scene could've been interpreted both ways. OH!! And the biggest question of all - WHO THE HECK IS RAB???

OOOOOhhhhh, good question! A lion. Well, or maybe a unicorn. (That's the little girl in me coming through).

Jennifer

Comment

Thank you so much for answering me! I was starting to feel that uncomfortable silence that I occasionally feel at a cocktail parties when I realize that other people are learning what a geek I am!

Rock on, HP!

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by kmbsjbcgb
            Thank you so much for answering me! I was starting to feel that uncomfortable silence that I occasionally feel at a cocktail parties when I realize that other people are learning what a geek I am!
            Oh, Honey, you don't know the half of it! I finished reading the sixth book on Saturday and promptly had a nightmare that night with all of the HP characters involved on the night of Dumbledore's death. YES! I am a dork!!!

Jennifer

Comment

And the biggest question of all - WHO THE HECK IS RAB???
              I'm betting Regulus Black. She doesn't give his middle name anywhere but he did work for Voldemort and turn on him at the end. Of course he was supposedly knocked off without incedent. Still .....I like the idea of Sirius Black's brother turning out good.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

ohh...Angie, I like your theory.

I think Snape will be redeemed....

BTW, I'm wearing a t-shirt that says "Muggle" on Halloween. Sadly, I would probably wear it outside of this day.

The shame!

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                X