Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Overspent American

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Overspent American

I got this one from the library, along with the Beardstown Ladies Guides to investiments and investment clubs (see the financial section)

This was really interesting about how Americans end up making more money than the rest of the world yet some humongoud percentage can't pay their bills, can't save any money, etc.

Her premise is partly that because of the explosion in cable, internet, "living' magazines that people making 30k and people making 300k and people making 3mil are all 'competing' for the same 'stuff'. So the guy making 30k buys knock offs and his car is the Hyundai version of the luxury sedan, and the buy making 300k wants everyone to think that he's making 3 mil and the guy making 3mil goes out and spends it on showy stuff.

It's kind of like the Trickle Down theory of econmics, but in a bad way.

Anyway, it's kind of dated but I thought it was very interesting and it made me much more mindful of where I get my 'I NEED ____' ideas. (For example- I decided to possibly tile the backsplash in the kitchen- so I'm online looking at the Design Center in DC. I was reading the book concurrently and suddenly I'm struck- why in the hell am I looking at 25 bucks a square foot tiles for a house that I'm selling? Her theory would have me looking at the super expensive tiles, then 'settle' for some 'medium level' [still stupidly expensive] instead of choosing less expensive options to start. and I was textbook!)

Jenn

I thought Kelly had- I looked for it in the archives!

and man, other than the bridal racket, or maybe even MORE than the bridal racket- the kids racket is amazing.

When my friend was pregnant we (totally on a lark) went to a store called "Bellisimo" that sells Crazy Expensive kids furniture and bedding. Like the cost of one "suite" of furniture was significantly more than at least one of my former vehicles... Who buys 1500 cribs? and the funny part is that the Baby Bargains book rated that particular line as not as nice as the 100 buck crib we have.

Jenn

Comment

OK...I'm getting this book this weekend. Thanks for the review.

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
        OK...I'm getting this book this weekend. Thanks for the review.

kris
        Me too, I love reading these types of books.

Comment

Working...
        X